Growing Hops from Rhizome

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyW

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening all. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of growing hops from rhizomes ? And if they wouldn't mind giving some tips to a complete novice? I'm opting for Cascade and Chinook because I've read they handle the heat a bit better (gets proper scorchio here in summer), but other than that I haven't got a scooby! Thanks to all as always acheers.

Cheers mate! Had a quick butchers and I'm at 41 degrees so should be ok :)
Just make sure the soil is good, enrich it to start with and give good layers of compost every year. South America falls well within the zone but I have never heard of any South American hops.

Long thread here, all you need to know provided you just plod through it.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/hop-plants-rhizomes-growing-report.69518/
If you are in a hot area you will need to keep the plants well watered, they are thirsty. I nearly lost mine last year on a hot day when temperatures went above 30*C (mine are only dwarf First Gold and in large pots)
I suggest you have a go. If it works fine, If it doesn't so be it.
But be aware even in the UK it takes three seasons for the hop plants to attain their maximum potential.

Cheers mate! Had a quick butchers and I'm at 41 degrees so should be ok :)
I understand you live in an apartment Brad, if you do go down the 'pot' route, they will escape via the bottom of the pot that is the rhizome nature. As your climate can be severe heat, black pots are a 'no no' paint them white otherwise you will cook the rhizome. Lots of people here in Oz have discovered that.

I grow my hop plants in two very large black plastic containers alias pots, one inside the other. If needs be the outer one will provide an insulating layer for the other but more importantly allows the inner 'pot' to freely drain after watering, and provides strength to the whole. And so far I have no evidence of major roots poking from the bottom of the pots. If they do, so be it, I'll just cut em off.
I'm sure @BradleyW must be aware of this but hops are vigorous climbers and need plenty of space and a structure to enable support, and can grow to 7m long. Even my dwarf Prima Donna grew to 3.5m last year when they are only supposed be 2-3 m long and mine are not in the ground. So if you only have limited space and nowhere for the plant to climb maybe hops are not for you.. Added to which they can be very time consuming especially when it comes to drying the cones at the end of the season.

I would think they would be good in the corrugated steel raised beds or planted with roots in shade. A pagoda style support would be ideal - like for grapes. They like rich soil too.

Thanks chaps. Yeah I do live in an apartment but I have a balcony so height shouldn't (famous last words) be an issue. Maybe not 7m but 3 metres should be fine. I have heard about roots coming through the bottom but once I've trawled through that thread hopefully I'll know how to deal with that.
Maybe I'll start my own thread on here and let you know how I get on?
Thanks again :)

Thanks chaps. Yeah I do live in an apartment but I have a balcony so height shouldn't (famous last words) be an issue. Maybe not 7m but 3 metres should be fine. I have heard about roots coming through the bottom but once I've trawled through that thread hopefully I'll know how to deal with that.
Maybe I'll start my own thread on here and let you know how I get on?
Thanks again :)
If you are going to grow them in pots you need the biggest ones you can accommodate in the space you have. And I will repeat what I said earlier about watering, mine wilted due to lack of water on one particular day last year so it is essential to keep the roots hydrated. Even then you may find they wilt if your temperatures get into the 40s since the longer the stems the more the plant has to work replenishing the water it loses through transpiration. As for roots poking through, cut em off if it concerns you, you will not damage the plant at all if the root ball is big enough in a large pot.
Finally if you are serious about growing hops this year you need to get going asap, thats assuming of course you can find somewhere that has any rhizomes in stock. Nomal time for planting is much earlier in the year as far as I am aware, when the rhizomes are dormant.

Latest posts

Back