Guinness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No i have decided to give up on Guinness or similar beers, i regularly drink Old Peculier, Guinness west indies porter and Badgers Master stoat which i enjoy.
Can't say ive had the west indies porter but I've recently tried the original extra stout and the Nigerian 1 which tasted similar to me? Been trying random flavoured stouts n porter over the last 6months and about the only1 I would avoid was a pumpkin flavoured stout, if I had to list my preference for commercial stouts that I've tried so far, it would probably be as follows(tins)

FRGD
Guinness coffee
Black Heart
Guinness+Guinness zero

Just got myself a West Indies porter to have a try of, Ive been drinking the Guinness zero since I discovered it 6 or so months ago, plus it's cheaper than a pint of coke in my local, had a disaster last night with the second can of the Guinness nitro, knocked it over and it split, rescued most of it and drank about 10mins later but was flat flat by then, I wasn't impressed by the nitrosurge cans, I thought the draught using the pin trick was better.

Looking forward to the review.
Well I've tried the west indies porter, I like it will defo be buying again, thats on a par with some of the better craft stouts/porters before they go all in on the adjuncts and make caramel toffee this or chocolate coffee that. I honestly think you'd like the FRGD as it's several steps removed from Guinness but still a few steps away from the west indies n other craft stouts/porters, FRGD is my fav so far out of the commercial stuff that Ive tried(by commercial I mean mass produced and relatively cheap per can compared to craft £1-£1.5 vs £2.5+)

Well I've tried the west indies porter, I like it will defo be buying again, thats on a par with some of the better craft stouts/porters before they go all in on the adjuncts and make caramel toffee this or chocolate coffee that. I honestly think you'd like the FRGD as it's several steps removed from Guinness but still a few steps away from the west indies n other craft stouts/porters, FRGD is my fav so far out of the commercial stuff that Ive tried(by commercial I mean mass produced and relatively cheap per can compared to craft £1-£1.5 vs £2.5+)
You can't compare Conor McGregor's FRGD , GUINNESS DRAFT, BREWDOG BLACK HEART OR CAMDEN STOUT with Guinness West Indies porter. West Indies porter is not nitro.
The closest would be Guinness original. But that's only 4.2 ABV.
I prefer Guinness original to the draft!

Having watched and enjoyed inside the Guinness factory with Greg Wallace I decided to give it another try, back in my lager drinking days i found the taste awful and i couldn't understand how anyone could enjoy it, my tastes have changed over the years and I no longer drink lager but my thoughts on Guinness haven't changed much its not as bad as i remember but its still for me not a pleasant drink, I will have to stick to Guinness West Indies Porter which is one of my go to beers.

Are there any other members here who are not keen?
Most drinkers experience of Guinness is draft Guinness. I much prefer bottled Guinness original. Even though it's not the bottled Guinness original I remember from the days when it was bottled conditioned.

I’ve been wondering wtf frgd is but now it is clear:
1709757772798.png

You can't compare Conor McGregor's FRGD , GUINNESS DRAFT, BREWDOG BLACK HEART OR CAMDEN STOUT with Guinness West Indies porter. West Indies porter is not nitro.
I’ve been wondering wtf frgd is but now it is clear:
View attachment 96587
Yep thats 1way of putting it, it's all about personal preference at the end of the day, I'd rather have a Guinness over a lager, id rather have a craft stout over Guinness, Id rather have this ove that etc etc so with that said Id rather have the FRGD over the black heart and Id rather the black heart over the Guinness unless it was the west indies Guinness🤣🤣🤣

I like the odd Guinness, put off by draught as hit and miss i have found but canned stuff I find OK.

I see BYO have an irish stout kit was thinking about giving that a go as looked simple and not too different to making cider etc ie no other kit needed

T'internet says 3.9. I'd have thought, mashing with low Alkalinity and then pitching in a load of acidic dark wort would add a certain acidic tang, along with lactic produced by yeast pushing the pH quite low. My gut feeling would be, any lactic addition would be to keep their output within a tight specification.
Just seen this and reminded me of this thread. One of the things that surprised me from the Greg Wallace programme was that the black malt was mashed separately and added later on. Initially I assumed this was because they could run a number of different products off the same mash, but the snippet form the interview with John Palmer below suggests otherwise:-

On the 'Guinness is best in Ireland' thing; I've always been dubious about this. I'm not an avid Guiness fan or a drinker, but do find the pint is pretty consistent up and down the country as far as my experience goes and if I'm at a new pub and not enticed by the options on offer I'll usually plump for a Guiness if they have it and rarely am I disappointed.

However I visited Dublin for the first time last year with work and got the opportunity to sample ALOT of Guinness. I was expecting this 'completely different drink' as many many people have espoused to me over the years and I must say I was disappointed that it tasted very familiar. OK it was pretty much the best Guiness I'd ever had, but not a million miles better than what I've been used to and I wouldn't even say in a different league. After talking with one of the landlords about it I came to the conclusion the reason it tastes better in Dublin is because they get through so much of it you're pretty much guaranteed a very fresh pint. the Guinness taps are pretty much constantly flowing every evening of the week. They pour the pints in advance so when you order the pint is stood there ready to go...maybe after a quick top up. Every pub in the centre of Dublin was heaving every day of the week I was there, so they must get through a couple or few kegs a day. Compared to my local that probably gets through a keg a week to ten days, or even longer maybe.

Anyway I had a blast, loved the Guinness, it was the best Guiness I'd ever had, but most definitely not a different drink to what we get in the UK. Loved Dublin and would go back in a heartbeat...though I've read recentlyabout the cost of a pint. With this being a work do I didn't buy any of the pints so had no idea what they cost but read recently you can pay as much as 9 Euro's in the more touristy areasashock1

Latest posts

Back