Guinness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T'internet says 3.9. I'd have thought, mashing with low Alkalinity and then pitching in a load of acidic dark wort would add a certain acidic tang, along with lactic produced by yeast pushing the pH quite low. My gut feeling would be, any lactic addition would be to keep their output within a tight specification.

Last edited:
According to Blindboy, the Irish obsession is a type of soft nationalism in a nation without a real food culture;

Really, Ireland’s fixation with the perfect pint of Guinness is a type of harmless soft nationalism, according to satirist and podcaster Blindboy Boatclub. This is especially common among the diaspora or emigrants, who take pride in promoting products associated with their homeland.

“The idea that the actual quality of Guinness outside of Ireland is drastically different to what you get at home is something we lean into a bit as an act of performance,” says Blindboy, whose work often discusses Irish identity. “In the absence of a national food culture, a pint of plain is your only man.”

Funny thing that, Guinness was made with a percentage of stale beer, returns from pubs back in the day. It was this that gave Guinness its complexity. So for a quick turnaround after fermentation has finished are they adding lactic acid as some suggest? I may try that by splitting my next batch. 3-4 ml per 19 litres, so I will try 2ml for 10 litres

According to the Guinness yeast research paper that was on here a few weeks ago their yeast is phenolic off-flavour positive (POF+). That might give it a twang maybe ?

Beamish is excellent. It's like a dagger through the heart that they focus on the domestic market only.
Beamish is a minnow. Only really popular in Cork and surrounding counties. Guinness, since its very foundation, was brewed for export to the British empire (Guinness family were staunchly unionist and anti Irish Independence)

Last edited:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/The%20Magic%20Guinness%20Blend%20c.1939.html

Just type into Google The Magic of Guinness blend 1939

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214_091755.jpg
    Screenshot_20240214_091755.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
Proper English Carling doesn't travel well, said no one ever.
To be fair, the Carling doesn't travel well. It's ***** the moment it leaves the factory gate 🤣

(Truthfully, I'm not so sure Carling is any worse than any other mid range macro lager, and better than some of the 'big boys " - Heineken, I'm looking at you)

To me it tastes the same in the bar at the top of the brewery, in the Lobster in Waterville or at locals around here. I bit of a dissapointing revelation having hoped the myths were true.
Same here, I'd always heard how it wasn't as good here as in Ireland, the first pint I had over there and I thought "It's exactly the same". I fell for the hype, then the cynic in me took over - it's brewed on an industrial scale for a global market, kegged and served cold, of course it's the same.

Same here, I'd always heard how it wasn't as good here as in Ireland, the first pint I had over there and I thought "It's exactly the same". I fell for the hype, then the cynic in me took over - it's brewed on an industrial scale for a global market, kegged and served cold, of course it's the same.
There is a lot to be said for how it’s stored and served. I’ve had my best and worst pints of Guinness in Ireland. It can be poles apart just like any pint served anywhere in the world. There’s good and bad
There is also a lot of good marketing behind it.

Yep marketing ploy it's all the same but like any beer it is only as good as the landlord oh and cellars play a big part in it too athumb..
But the skill level is far more important with a cask conditioned ale ! That's why keg and nitro have taken over. Keg beer doesn't have the stigma that it used to have because of the craft beer Revolution.

Having seen Brewdog Black Heart in the supermarket i decided to give it try (after my Guinness fail) as some reviewers said it wasn't as bitter and has a bit more of a coffee and chocolate flavour than Guinness, i tried one earlier and i do not agree to me it tastes as awful as Guinness so another fail by me, so off back to the shop for a couple of bottles of Guinness West indies Porter for later now this stuff i could drink all night ;)

View attachment 95560 .View attachment 95561
You tried FRGD?, asda exclusive at the mo and it's better than black heart and Guinness IMHO

Back