H&G's 98L BK and False Bottom Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loetz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting this guy here:
http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/detailv1.asp?itemcode=STA20252653

and I'm a bit curious about the optional domed false bottom. I have a plate chiller and I use pellet hops so I need a good filter. My current mesh hop filter is falling apart, so I'm exploring other options. Does anyone have any experience with the domed false bottoms from h&g? Could I run mesh over them and make a tight enough seal to force the wort to go through the mesh?

I'm really starting to regret investing in this plate chiller. I wish now that I would have just gotten an immersion or counter-flow chiller. It would make things a bit easier.

false bottoms are very good and effective. Just put some of Vossy's silicone tubing around the edge and they seal perfectly . ( put a few loops of copper wire around too to stop the tubing unwinding and lifting off with the warm water )

but will it filter out enough of the pellet hop particulate? I don't want to have a gunked up plate chiller.
What about wrapping it in mesh?

Sorry can't help you there I've never used hop pellets.
They certainly keep out whole hops.

I have used that exact false-bottom in my boiler as a hop filter. I only use whole hops, and it certainly keeps those out, but I'm not happy with the amount of break material it filters out. I'm thinking of wrapping a hop sock around it to filter out the final particles, but for now I've gone back to use my stainless braid as a filter (which is a whole heap harder to keen clean than the false bottom). I certainly wouldn't be happy running it straight into plate chiller without an additional mesh.

I've also been experimenting with an immersion chiller vs a counter-flow chiller, so this part of my brewing operation is in a state of flux anyway. I still haven't found the right combination of filter and chilling method, so take all this info with a pinch of salt...

MacKiwi said:
I have used that exact false-bottom in my boiler as a hop filter. I only use whole hops, and it certainly keeps those out, but I'm not happy with the amount of break material it filters out. I'm thinking of wrapping a hop sock around it to filter out the final particles... I certainly wouldn't be happy running it straight into plate chiller without an additional mesh.

Do you think that I could wrap it with something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item232bee4c18

or maybe a bigger roll of it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item1e7bc80d9c

Or what about one of those paint bag thingies.

I couldn't honestly say, as I've not tried it. But it certainly did occur to me to try wrapping it in stainless mesh, it looks like you can crimp the edges in a vice to make a "bag" that the false-bottom went into. But I'd be concerned with how to seal it, and how it easy it would be to get off for cleaning. At least with the nylon hop bag it should be easy to take off and rinse (not that I've tried that yet either).

The stainless braid filter I started with was great as a filter, but hard to clean and gunk built up over time. The false bottom is very easy to clean, but not so great as a filter. It's a hard road finding the perfect hop filter...

MacKiwi said:
...it certainly did occur to me to try wrapping it in stainless mesh, it looks like you can crimp the edges in a vice to make a "bag" that the false-bottom went into. But I'd be concerned with how to seal it, and how it easy it would be to get off for cleaning. At least with the nylon hop bag it should be easy to take off and rinse (not that I've tried that yet either)....It's a hard road finding the perfect hop filter...

Here's a picture of the hop filter I am (was?) using.
hopstopper.jpg

The tube goes inside that mesh pouch that I made and then I clamp it off with one of these hose clamps:
HoseClamp.jpg

It was working well, but it has taken a beating after being ripped apart for cleaning.

I'm thinking more and more now about buying some hop bags or paint bags to wrap around that false bottom. Does anyone see a problem with doing that? Will the bags filter out enough pellet particulate for the wort to pass through a plate chiller?

So I'm really close to buying this new BK:
ss%20false%20bottom%20in%20mash%20tun.jpg

But now I am wondering if wrapping the false bottom in an nylon bag is a bad idea. I want to do it so that I can filter out the pellets before they reach my plate chiller, but now I am worried that the heating elements will melt the bag. If I wrap that false bottom in nylon, do you think the elements will burn or melt it???

If you're using hop pellets L you definitely want to be wrapping that fb in mesh of some sort.
Personally I'd be going stainless as it doesn't rip or degrade, I use the one you've linked above #40, but some folk use #30, it's up to you really. I was told by my GPHE supplier to prevent anything larger than 0.5mm from getting into it as that's the gap between the plates give or take.

I bought a H & G false bottom, it's ok but it's not the most accurate circle, mine has a few flat spots, and can be quite hard to seal with beer line. I manage though. The Malt Miller does a superb one.

Yea but I want the whole kettle with elements and everything. Shipping to Austria is expensive, so I like to limit myself to one supplier at a time, too.

Besides, I've already ordered it.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back