Grainfather pump keeps blocking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Either the filter comes off or gets blocked. This never used to be an issue but past 10 or so brews it is. I don't use the CF chiller, I prefer to use an immersion cooler and use the pump to move the wort into the FV. I also recirculate with the arm to sterilise it during the last 10 mins of the boil, and during cooling is useful to have it on to avoid hot or cold spots.

Half the time the filter comes off, but even when it doesn't the pump still blocks. I've used a jubilee clip, no difference. I've tried whirlpooling but it doesn't seem to work either, and is quite "labour intensive".

Here's what I'm thinking of trying, was wondering if anyone has overcome this problem before and can give any advice.

A domed false bottom. I use one of these in my HERMS as a kettle filter and it works great, sadly it's too big to fit into my GF.

I found a bazooka filter. I could tie it on with a jubilee clip, might be a better option than the pump?

I think it's the brewzilla false bottom apparently fits into the Grainfather, but another forumite said it doesn't work and floats.

Thanks in advance.

Not had the filter block yet, but I do whirlpool.
I’ll sell you my “floating” false bottom if you like £20 posted.

I also orientate the filter so the black endcap rests against the thermowell as it adds a little bit of security.

Last edited:
Use a paddle to whirlpool (those MP10-RN pumps are only rated to 80 C). Put your Grainfather on a stand and empty with a siphon.

@Deathstar and @foxy, do you whirlpool with a normal paddle or one made for whirlpooling? I have a regular mash paddle and after stirring for 5 mins nothing seems to happen.

I do try to siphon when this happens but the siphon gets blocked with trub, hop matter etc.

I purchased the GF whirlpool paddle and I am very happy with it. Also from memory dont' think it cost that much. Use it with a cordless drill. Seems to do the job.

Never whirlpool and never had a blocked filter. Do you use leaf or pellet hops?

After several issues with the pump blocking, I now put all my hops in tea strainers. They get fully bounced around during the boil and now significantly lessens my chances of a block.

Thinking of a bazooka though, could you wrap the filter with the screen mesh? Might try it myself, hmmm!

Use a paddle to whirlpool (those MP10-RN pumps are only rated to 80 C). Put your Grainfather on a stand and empty with a siphon.
My MP10-RN is rated to 100C. But the 'N' means modified, so maybe the impeller is different?

I purchased the GF whirlpool paddle and I am very happy with it. Also from memory dont' think it cost that much. Use it with a cordless drill. Seems to do the job.
Same for me, paddle attached to a drill.

My MP10-RN is rated to 100C. But the 'N' means modified, so maybe the impeller is different?
Just one of their cheap off the shelf pumps. 80 C rating.
https://www.kaixinpump.com/products2.html#list-comp-ppb2niv4
@Deathstar and @foxy, do you whirlpool with a normal paddle or one made for whirlpooling? I have a regular mash paddle and after stirring for 5 mins nothing seems to happen.

I do try to siphon when this happens but the siphon gets blocked with trub, hop matter etc.
I don't bother whirlpooling now with the filter I have, when I did/or do I do it with a wooden or s/steel paddle by hand.
Let it stand for a few hours if you haven't got a filter then siphon.

I wrote to Kaixin and they told me the MP-10RN is rated to 100C. I use mine during the boil as the Coobra CB% has an anti-scorch feature that circulates the wort across the heated bottom plate.

1593238369628.png

This catalogue is too large to attach but you can download my copy https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p_aDCMV3vTBs1bmhtxrHS7lpjfCKILfJ/view?usp=sharing
The snippet above is on page 7.

Last edited:
I also wrote to Kaixin they told me 80 C, as per Guten specs. Grainfather and Robobrew/Brewzilla all use the same pump. Someone is telling porkies.

it's recommended by Grainfather to recirculate the wort right after the boil, meaning the pump is handling wort way hotter than 80c on every brew day.

it's recommended by Grainfather to recirculate the wort right after the boil, meaning the pump is handling wort way hotter than 80c on every brew day.
Then why doesn't it state during the boil? An immersion chiller would have the 100 C to 80 C in no time. Not on here to argue a point, do as you will.

Do you mean start? It does start but it gets blocked.
State, not start.
Grainfather was never a good unit, the only thing it was good for was making Imake a lot of money. A unit which was made for around $180 US selling for an astronomical price because it was the only unit going against the Braumeister at the time.

Latest posts

Back