Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just taken a hydro reading of the brew number 3, English IPA and again just like brew no 2, the Porter, i'm 0.7% over the predicted ABV. I'm guessing this is due to not topping up the wort with water to the predicted volume I had in my calculator spreadsheet?
I was expecting 9.61L into the fermenter but actually got 8L. Does that difference sound about right to raise the ABV by around 0.7% ?
Should I mess with my method? I don't mind a stronger beer! My OG always seems higher than the recipe and FG about spot on.

I think 0.7% is less of an increase than the reduced volume should provide, without doing any calculations.

I think it's a good idea to work towards getting what you aim for. Then you will gradually learn to make beers exactly how you want them to be. Increase your water next time. Extra sparge water, if you sparge. About 1.5 litres for a similar grain bill if the target volume is the same. If you like a stronger beer, add more base malt!

ok thanks clibit, I'll adjust my initial calculations and try and get next one closer

It's a teaspoon for 5 gallons, so not much! And you don't want to overdo it, apparently.

I made the Courage clone from GW's book as one of my first AG's but I used a high attenuating yeast (nottingham) which munched it way through all the sugers (especially the table suger) and made it too dry.

I made am APA recently with honey but its very dry 1004 or less. Sample wasn't enjoyable. Is there any way to sweeten it up? Surprised as my other APA's have been very drinkable.

I made am APA recently with honey but its very dry 1004 or less. Sample wasn't enjoyable. Is there any way to sweeten it up? Surprised as my other APA's have been very drinkable.

This is something I know very little about as I came across it referenced when reading about something else so you'll have to do your own research/googling into it but it may be possible to 'backsweeten' by adding some unfermentable sugars (like lactolose) at bottling time.

Here's a link to get you started

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Back_sweetening

I've never back sweetened, but I believe you can add lactose sugar.

The honey will have contributed to the low final gravity. And presumably you used a highly attenuative yeast strain?

Thanks Clibit, I used US05 but maybe i added too much honey. I was making mead after a few beers and accidentally poured the liquid into a demijon. Big mistake it cracked. Foolishly i did the same again and wiped out 2 in 10 minutes. Glad i bought them of gumtree. Lactose is on my shopping list. Been meaning to get some for months.

US05 is a yeast that eats more of the sugars than most ale yeasts, so the yeast will have helped to dry the beer out.

This is something I know very little about as I came across it referenced when reading about something else so you'll have to do your own research/googling into it but it may be possible to 'backsweeten' by adding some unfermentable sugars (like lactolose) at bottling time.

Here's a link to get you started

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Back_sweetening

Thanks, only just seen this. Will be an interesting experiment and can use any spare for a milk stout. Will report back later in the week. Cheers everyone

I've still got some hops from the fantastic 'taster packs' and was thinking I could use them for a first try at a 5litre AG, pretty much as the original darth clibit recipe with hops as follows:

60min - 10g Saaz (basically cos I have some of these in the freezer, thought is 60min bittering hop can be pretty much anything right??)

30min - 10g Simco

Flameout - 10g Mosaic

Dry hop - 10g Citra.

Any thoughts? Should I switch any of these around?

Cheers.

That's a fair amount of hops in 5 litres. Have you put the planned recipe into a brewing calculator?

I'll stick it in Brewmate. How bitter do you want it? And how much aroma? Any particular beer in mind?

You could use some hops in another batch. Or double up to ten litres? Here is your recipe:

Batch Size (L): 5.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Bitterness (IBU): 62.3 (Average)

1.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (100%)

10.0 g Saaz Leaf (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
10.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes
10.0 g Mosaic Leaf (12% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
10.0 g Citra Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

If you leave out the Saaz the IBUs drop from 62, which is very bitter, to about 45, which is a good place to be. Bitter, but not extreme. So chuck the first hops in at 30 mins. And Simcoe, Mosai, Citra should be great.

45 IBUs is pretty bitter. Stick with that. For this one.

I'm hoping to have a go at this on Sunday afternoon. I'm bottling a batch but reckon I can do both at the same time!

Any advice on type of grain I should use? I'm hoping for an American style IPA given the hops I have to hand.

I need to get to the brew shop to pick up grain, yeast and an airlock & grommet for my 2gallon FV. Hopefully do that Saturday to leave Sunday clear for bottling and brewing.

An American IPA typically has pale malt and a little pale crystal malt, about 3% of the total grain, around 80 EBC. Any pale malt will work fine, Maris Otter, or lager malt, which is closer to American pale malt. Some IPAs go for a bigger malt base, especially where the IBUs are very high, using more crystal and/or Munich malt or similar.

Latest posts

Back