Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typically, I prefer darker, redder beers.

I'm guessing you're meaning an English/Irish style red ale, in which case Fuggles should be fine. Though Fuggles and Goldings are used together as the classic English hop blend, in many English ales. You could also blend Challenger or First Gold with Fuggles very successfully. But Fuggles can be used on their own and often are, and many people like them on their own. Personally I'd blend them with one of those three alternatives.

I'm guessing you're meaning an English/Irish style red ale, in which case Fuggles should be fine. Though Fuggles and Goldings are used together as the classic English hop blend, in many English ales. You could also blend Challenger or First Gold with Fuggles very successfully. But Fuggles can be used on their own and often are, and many people like them on their own. Personally I'd blend them with one of those three alternatives.

Thanks, seems my instincts were right, I picked up some Goldings.

I also got a bag of Crystal Malt as I've seen it in a lot of recipes too.

One thing, the guys in the Home Brew shop I went into were very friendly, for some reason I was a bit nervous about going in as a complete novice. They also have a selection of small bags of different hops for 50p-99p. Really handy for my plan of doing lots of small batches of different beer.

One thing, the guys in the Home Brew shop I went into were very friendly, for some reason I was a bit nervous about going in as a complete novice. They also have a selection of small bags of different hops for 50p-99p. Really handy for my plan of doing lots of small batches of different beer.

The small bags of hops are a great idea, great for brewers of small batches especially, and great for testing out hops. Also handy for people wanting to dry hop kits without being too hop heavy.

Crystal malt is the key ingredient in red ales. So looks like you're onto a brew that's just right for you. Let us know how you get on. :thumb:

Thanks, seems my instincts were right, I picked up some Goldings. I also got a bag of Crystal Malt as I've seen it in a lot of recipes too.

My first AG (thanks to this thread) was MO, Crystal, Fuggles and Goldings - here's the recipe if you want to repeat it (10L brew). It was good but could have done with some more late hops, so if I did it again, I'd stick another 10g of Goldings in after turning off the heat for 10mins to let it drop to 80C, then steep for 30mins. Perhaps even some dry hops too.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (90.91%)
0.200 kg Crystal 10 (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
14.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
14.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
7.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

The standard British ale (as above) is to bitter with Fuggles and add Goldings or similar later, but you can make an interesting beer just with Fuggles all in at the start, with no late hops - 25g@60mins for a 10L brew. I've just done a variation of this with Cascade all in at the start: Cascade is your typical US hop so is normally used late in the brew, but using it to bitter produces a lovely moreish American Amber.

My first AG (thanks to this thread) was MO, Crystal, Fuggles and Goldings - here's the recipe if you want to repeat it (10L brew). It was good but could have done with some more late hops, so if I did it again, I'd stick another 10g of Goldings in after turning off the heat for 10mins to let it drop to 80C, then steep for 30mins. Perhaps even some dry hops too.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8

Grain Bill
----------------
2.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (90.91%)
0.200 kg Crystal 10 (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
14.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
14.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
7.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

The standard British ale (as above) is to bitter with Fuggles and add Goldings or similar later, but you can make an interesting beer just with Fuggles all in at the start, with no late hops - 25g@60mins for a 10L brew. I've just done a variation of this with Cascade all in at the start: Cascade is your typical US hop so is normally used late in the brew, but using it to bitter produces a lovely moreish American Amber.

That's very similar to what I did, I had a higher percentage of Crystal malt though - perhaps too much - I had double what you had. I should probably do a brew day post about it.

I noticed this too, homebrew people are very friendly. The way they put an opinion across is different too, you usually get 'I tried this and it worked for me', instead of 'No you're doing it wrong, you should be... etc'.

My LHBS proprietor was telling me about some old guys who used to be regulars, they brewed their own beer then drank it in a shed, on an allotment while playing cards or dominoes.

Thanks for this Clibit, I've just ordered 3kg of Maris Otter, 100g of EKG and some S04 Yeast.
I cant wait for it to arrive, I'm sure I'll be back here asking questions once it does :)

My Grain, Hops and Yeast turned up today so I'm almost ready to take the plunge. Before I do I have a question regarding the Fermentation Vessel that I should use. I have a number of Demijohns and a 20-25ltr young's bucket from my wine making days. The bucket doesn't have an air lock. Which would be best to use?

Thanks in advance Wayne

Does it have a lid Wayne. If so I just crack it slightly open one one side press the lid to see that you can push air out that way you can have fairly tight lid but enough to let gas escape.

Does it have a lid Wayne. If so I just crack it slightly open one one side press the lid to see that you can push air out that way you can have fairly tight lid but enough to let gas escape.

Hi,

Yes it has a lid, so I guess yeah I can put a small crack in it. I'd prefer to use the bucket than the demijohns as I can try 10ltrs first :)

Actually, as I have 3kg of Grain can I brew 15ltrs in a 25ltr bucket without risk of it overflowing during fermentation?

Thanks for the advise

15 litres in a 25 litre bucket is fine. Seal the lid and if it bulges just crack it slightly open in one place. Enjoy.

Phew, just read all 879 posts and decided I want to give this a try.
Of course its raised a few questions for a home-brew novice like me but I think i've got the gist, I plan to plump for a 7.5 Lt quantity.

1: In the original instructions it says pour the grain into the water and then after the steep strain through a sieve or colander lined with cloth but in subsequent posts it mentions bags, I assume its personal choice ??
2: Whirlfloc tablet added with 15 minutes of boil left, recommended or not ? If so, I believe 1 tablet is good for 5 gallons so its a case of splitting up into really small pieces ?
3: I believe fermenting 7.5 Lt in a full size Coopers FV (about 30 Lt) presents no problems ?
Thanks.

Hello. Once you've gone over to AG, you'll not go back to kits. The sense of achievement is brilliant. I got into AG just this year, thanks to this thread so more seasoned people may be along with better advice.....

1. A bag is generally used. But a muslin or similar in a colander will work just fine for when you're starting out.

2. I guess so. I've started using Irish moss which is easy to add in small amounts. But I used nothing on my first two brews and they turned out nice and clear. They just had a bit more sediment than you'd expect.

3. That won't be a problem at all. The yeast will generate a layer of co2 which will sit on top and protect the brew from the atmosphere, so lots of head space isn't an issue.

Good luck.

My 2 stove top brews were done without a bag and I drained against the lid and through a sieve. Not ideal but it worked with what I had.
As greenhorn has mentioned, it is not essential and you would have to split a tablet for a brew below 5 gallons (iirc some people recommend just half a tablet in 5 gallons).
Extra head space is not meant to cause any problems.

Enjoy whatever you go for.

Many thanks 'wrf42' and 'Greenhorn' for the replies, I now feel i'm ready to go forward with a simple small batch try, excited to move through the gears from kit, extract and now grain :thumb:

Latest posts

Back