Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've probably finished by now but fuggles for bittering EKG for aroma/flavour

I'm just about to do one of these this eve, Simco for the Bittering, Columbus for flavour/aroma

No mate. Ill start it next weekend.
Glad I checked. Cheers.
I'm pleased this time I've got over a kilo malts. It says mini mashes have to be around a kilo otherwise its pretty much pointless. Enough said on my last. Which only achieved around 750. Tasted ok but I felt slightly disappointed.

I have a day booked off in 2 weeks and will do another brew. Just wondering if what is there worth keeping.

Let's dive into this.
50 grams would barley fit a small glass. Is that how mush you mashed with?

It was more than 50

Probably 800.

I might have said Oz, might be lbs.

I'll check the scales in a bit

hi everyone

bottom line is ive lost my plans on strike water volume and sparge. I know theres ways of finding out with calculators but I thought this would be a quicker way, plus as im adding a kit to it the partial mash (extract? im not boiling the kit, adding after boil) I realise theyl be people out there who know a good guide to bittering and sugars required for a good standard taste (coopers real ale)

plan is to partial mash (extract) BIAB for a 21 litre batch using a 15l pot using:

1 kilo maris otter,
200g crystal
200g amber
50g roasted barley
150g torriefied wheat
1.7kg coopers real ale
680G Raynors malt extract (similar to Holland barrets one)
25g fuggles
25g EKG

the plan was to follow the first post on this thread from clibit but use 5 litres of strike water as I have more grains. Mash all grains at 65c for 60 mins

rinse over the grain with two litres of hot water (70C) for sparge

BOIL
fuggles 25g - 60mins
EKG 15g - 15mins
EKG 10g - 0mins (flame out)

im planning on adding the raynors malt to the boil 10 mins before the end and the kit to the primary fermenter

ive just gone on brewers friend and put the recipe in. ive substituted the kit for 1.7kg of dark liquid malt. I would copy and paste it but its causing issues. its showing 1.049 OG, 1.011 FG, 4.99 ABV, IBU 8.30

BIT CONCERNED about the IBU so low..

if theres any advise id gladly take it. cheers guys

it will be around 2% carry on and drink it mixed with stronger beer either yours or a commercial bottle

hi everyone

bottom line is ive lost my plans on strike water volume and sparge. I know theres ways of finding out with calculators but I thought this would be a quicker way, plus as im adding a kit to it the partial mash (extract? im not boiling the kit, adding after boil) I realise theyl be people out there who know a good guide to bittering and sugars required for a good standard taste (coopers real ale)

plan is to partial mash (extract) BIAB for a 21 litre batch using a 15l pot using:

1 kilo maris otter,
200g crystal
200g amber
50g roasted barley
150g torriefied wheat
1.7kg coopers real ale
680G Raynors malt extract (similar to Holland barrets one)
25g fuggles
25g EKG

the plan was to follow the first post on this thread from clibit but use 5 litres of strike water as I have more grains. Mash all grains at 65c for 60 mins

rinse over the grain with two litres of hot water (70C) for sparge

BOIL
fuggles 25g - 60mins
EKG 15g - 15mins
EKG 10g - 0mins (flame out)

im planning on adding the raynors malt to the boil 10 mins before the end and the kit to the primary fermenter

ive just gone on brewers friend and put the recipe in. ive substituted the kit for 1.7kg of dark liquid malt. I would copy and paste it but its causing issues. its showing 1.049 OG, 1.011 FG, 4.99 ABV, IBU 8.30

BIT CONCERNED about the IBU so low..

if theres any advise id gladly take it. cheers guys

if the ibu's are so low you can boil the hell out of some high % alpha hops with some golden syrup or not to get you abv where you want it.

if the ibu's are so low you can boil the hell out of some high % alpha hops with some golden syrup or not to get you abv where you want it.

I think what I need to remember is I'm only doing a partial mash. So this will look lower. Its gonna be trial and error. I need to work within my means. Water volume ain't massive due to the restrictions with the pot.

Cheers dad of Jon

I think what I need to remember is I'm only doing a partial mash. So this will look lower. Its gonna be trial and error. I need to work within my means. Water volume ain't massive due to the restrictions with the pot.

Cheers dad of Jon

agreed, once you have a few brews under your belt it's quite easy to tune stuff to your liking abv or ibu wise. these adjustments can be done in a small saucepan :thumb:

Back