Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks.
What is your total mash time?
Do you sparg after draining?

I'm ready to Stove top boil a 1 gallon grain kit.

Matt
That all varies from brew to brew. Depends on how many litres and how patient I am - i speed the heating up sometimes. As a rough guide, it's maybe 45 minutes from mash in to mash out. I only sparge if the batch size won't fit the pot. I find that the high water to grain ratio, raising the temp to mash out temp and stirring does the job of the sparging. It's a BIAB process. True BIAB brewing has no sparge.

That all varies from brew to brew. Depends on how many litres and how patient I am - i speed the heating up sometimes. As a rough guide, it's maybe 45 minutes from mash in to mash out. I only sparge if the batch size won't fit the pot. I find that the high water to grain ratio, raising the temp to mash out temp and stirring does the job of the sparging. It's a BIAB process. True BIAB brewing has no sparge.
Many thanks. Much appreciated advice.
Cheers

Many thanks. Much appreciated advice.
Cheers
Good luck. If you do a 30 minute boil it can be 90 minutes or less from mash in to the end of the boil. Maybe do a 60 minute boil first time, I'm guessing your kit has some instructions that you could incorporate.

Good luck. If you do a 30 minute boil it can be 90 minutes or less from mash in to the end of the boil. Maybe do a 60 minute boil first time, I'm guessing your kit has some instructions that you could incorporate.
Yes it's a Landlord style kit from eBay/ Surplus Brewing. 1 gallon.
£13 inc postage

Pale malt 850g
Black malt 6g

Styrian Golding hops 10g

Instructions mash 60; mins
Boil 90 mins
Expected FG 4.2%

They mentioned sparging but not in instructions specifically for this brew.

Thanks again for your help.
I think I have enough information to make a good stab at it

Cheers
Matt

Yes it's a Landlord style kit from eBay/ Surplus Brewing. 1 gallon.
£13 inc postage

Pale malt 850g
Black malt 6g

Styrian Golding hops 10g

Instructions mash 60; mins
Boil 90 mins
Expected FG 4.2%

They mentioned sparging but not in instructions specifically for this brew.

Thanks again for your help.
I think I have enough information to make a good stab at it

Cheers
Matt
**** £13 for 856g of grain, 10g hops and a pack of yeast. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask. Sorry, good place to start, but it feels steep. Grain £2, hops 40p, plus yeast. You can get recipes from people on here.

**** £13 for 856g of grain, 10g hops and a pack of yeast. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask. Sorry, good place to start, but it feels steep. Grain £2, hops 40p, plus yeast. You can get recipes from people on here.
I'm sure you don't intend any malice, but I think that's a little harsh. Most small kits are a similar cost, they work out disproportionately pricier because of their small size. About £3 of the cost will be postage. I'm sure you wouldn't suggest any of the forum sponsors who supply small kits are high way robbers?

For the rest of the cost, buying a reputable kit from a reputable supplier gives reassurance and convenience. Reassurance that the brew had been thought out properly, constructed properly, tested, and refined if necessary so that the resulting beer lives up to the description and is true to character.

It gives convenience because somebody skilled and reliable has done all the intellectual work in developing the recipe, obtained all the ingredients, measured them into the correct amounts, provided full instructions, packaged it all up nicely and gave it to a courier so that all Matt/you/me has to do is open the door, take the parcel in, and get to work.

Hopefully, after following the instructions correctly, he'll get a great result, his confidence will be bouyed and he can go on to Brew other great beers from kits or from recipes he gets from elsewhere. At some point in the future (or maybe next week) , he can come back to that kit recipe, obtain the ingredients himself, and brew the beer again. Hopefully he'll get the same results. That builds his confidence in his own ability. Maybe he'll tinker with it. Brew it short, add some malt and sugar for a higher ABV. Maybe some vanilla, chilli, or coffee? Maybe something more exotic like lemongrass?

The alternative is that he can spend ages looking for a suitable recipe. He can then ponder all the instructions and descriptions, is that Imperial Gallons, or US gallons? How do you convert Fahrenheit to Celsius? Why is that time zero? And other vagaries of the instruction. To a practiced brewer, who knows what's what, it looks exact, to the inexperienced it looks a bit 'vague'.

Then he can drive for 25 minutes (in my case) to his local shop. He can then spend 10 minutes collecting what he wants only to find a couple of ingredients are out of stock. The shopkeeper is willing to help, but can't say for sure exactly what affect his suggested substitutions will have. He decides to get the correct stuff elsewhere. He has a 15 minute walk back to the car because the council have an anti-motorist agenda. It's putting businesses out of business says the home brew shop owner. Going home, he's stuck in traffic. The 25 min journey takes 55.

The next day he goes to his other local shop 35 minutes away (in my case). Again, they don't have exactly what he wants, but, eager to Brew something he takes the recommended substitute. Traffic is bad on the way back and it takes 75 minutes to get back. His wife isn't happy. Dinner is spoiled. Again.

Nevertheless, at the first opportunity, he gets stuck into brewing. Does everything he thinks he should, but the brewing lingo is new to him. "how can you flame out on an induction cooker?". Eventually, the brew is ready for bottling, and after conditioning, is left to 'mature'. There isn't a specific time, so he spends a hour or 2 on the Internet and comes up with what seems a reasonable time.

As the appointed time approaches, he readies himself. Glass in hand, he thinks to himself that if this is as good as it should be, it'll make up for the wife not speaking to him since he bought all the stuff. Her complaints are a bit harsh. The stuff isn't taking up that much space in the front room after all. And the 'fragrance' as he thinks it should be called is not at all like damp tom cats.

The alarm goes. "D(rinking) time". The cap comes off. The dark nectar pours into the glass. He sniffs the bouquet "Hmm piquant. Not mentioned in the recipe". A large gulp is taken. Cough, splutter, retch. "oh my God, that's fking horrible." A small sip follows. His face grimaces. His stomach contorts into a reef knot. "That foul stuff is not coming down here" the message is sent by morse code. Muttering and expletives follow. The gist of it is that the beer tastes like sheepdip mixed with verruca remover, with a hint of dog and cat flea lotion.

His wife comes in. "Well? How is it" "It's OK love. Pretty good actually. For a first go". "OK she says, don't go buying any more stuff until you've finished that lot, and you can get all that stuff out of the bedroom and front room. And don't go guzzling it all just because it's there. Don't want you going alcoholic". "Not much fking chance of that" he thinks.

Later when SHMBO is in bed. He gets out the paperwork. Hmm. He got everything on the list except for the substitutions, and did everything he thought he should. So, what went wrong?

Was it the substitutions that were inappropriate? Was the recipe written by some illiterate idiot who believed his own imagination that he was a genius brewer in the making, despite the fact that he had the taste buds of a rancid komodo dragon due to smoking liberal amounts of tobacco and crystal meths with the odd pound of cannabis thrown in? Or was it in fact the idiot's first recipe? Apart from that he's American and any country that raises people who cook pork in Coca-Cola, and put toast and jam on a cooked breakfast, and put maple syrup on eggs should be treated with suspicion when it comes to taste. And "correct doneness" is not a proper term to describe how long to cook something.

Did he do something wrong himself without knowing? Did he convert things correctly. Was it in fact Imperial Gallons not US? He doesn't know. What he does know is that he spent £5 on ingredients and £10 on petrol, and literally 6 hours finding and deciphering the recipe and ingredients, not to mention the hours spent driving to the shops. For what? Something toxic that shouldn't be put anywhere near living tissue or even allowed in the same room, that he now has to pour down the drain, not too fast that his wife thinks he's gone alky, but not too slow either because he wants it out of the house.

And what does he do next? He doesn't know the cause, so it might happen again. Hmmm. Extract kits are much easier he thinks. Maybe he should stick to them?

OK, a bit dramatic, but the point is, for an experienced brewer, kits seem expensive. But they're not. You're not only buying the ingredients, you're buying the intellectual property that you can brew again, anyway you like. You're paying for the time and skill that went into producing a recipe in kit form. You're buying convenience and reassurance of something that works. Yes, with experience we'll all be able to make our own recipes. There's several ways to get that experience.

One is by trying recipes from unknown random (or rancid) Internet Brewers who may or may not be skilled. If you go that way you can convert the units into a convenient batch size whilst wondering why the Americans are everywhere on the Internet and what damn right they have to tell us what British beer should taste like or what colour it should be. You just have to hope, using that method that you kiss a few princes amongst the frogs otherwise it can get demoralising. Of course, this is the cheapest method, but how much is your time worth? Is time spent doing the komodo dragon's recipe well spent?

The second way is to get recipes from people who appear skilled and competent. Perhaps they'll give some assistance as well. Life, work etc can get in the way of that though. And until you get to know them and taste their wares, you dunt know if they're Komodo Dragon's cousin.

The third way is to buy a kit. It'll come from someone skilled and competent. You'll get instructions and maybe extra assistance if you need it. And of course, everything you need comes to your door, no substitutions, no traffic jams, no spoiled dinners. No earache. Just a nice, smooth, trouble free experience that you can't wait to repeat.

Virtually everybody starts with extract kits. Why is that? Why should AG be different?

The value of something is not always shown in the price. Hopefully,, one or two might consider the above scenario and realise that paying a few quid for that background work isn't too bad. What would you rather have, Komodo Dragon's Extra Special Sheepdip recipe for free or a well thought out and tested, delicious recipe for say £3. Would you rather spend 4 hours driving all over the region to get the ingredients, or have someone collect, collate and package the ingredients for say £2 and send it direct to your door for say £3?

OK, I'll shut up now, except to say "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things". If you're not sure what that means, it's another way of saying "horses for courses".

I'm sure you don't intend any malice, but I think that's a little harsh. Most small kits are a similar cost, they work out disproportionately pricier because of their small size. About £3 of the cost will be postage. I'm sure you wouldn't suggest any of the forum sponsors who supply small kits are high way robbers?

For the rest of the cost, buying a reputable kit from a reputable supplier gives reassurance and convenience. Reassurance that the brew had been thought out properly, constructed properly, tested, and refined if necessary so that the resulting beer lives up to the description and is true to character.

It gives convenience because somebody skilled and reliable has done all the intellectual work in developing the recipe, obtained all the ingredients, measured them into the correct amounts, provided full instructions, packaged it all up nicely and gave it to a courier so that all Matt/you/me has to do is open the door, take the parcel in, and get to work.

Hopefully, after following the instructions correctly, he'll get a great result, his confidence will be bouyed and he can go on to Brew other great beers from kits or from recipes he gets from elsewhere. At some point in the future (or maybe next week) , he can come back to that kit recipe, obtain the ingredients himself, and brew the beer again. Hopefully he'll get the same results. That builds his confidence in his own ability. Maybe he'll tinker with it. Brew it short, add some malt and sugar for a higher ABV. Maybe some vanilla, chilli, or coffee? Maybe something more exotic like lemongrass?

The alternative is that he can spend ages looking for a suitable recipe. He can then ponder all the instructions and descriptions, is that Imperial Gallons, or US gallons? How do you convert Fahrenheit to Celsius? Why is that time zero? And other vagaries of the instruction. To a practiced brewer, who knows what's what, it looks exact, to the inexperienced it looks a bit 'vague'.

Then he can drive for 25 minutes (in my case) to his local shop. He can then spend 10 minutes collecting what he wants only to find a couple of ingredients are out of stock. The shopkeeper is willing to help, but can't say for sure exactly what affect his suggested substitutions will have. He decides to get the correct stuff elsewhere. He has a 15 minute walk back to the car because the council have an anti-motorist agenda. It's putting businesses out of business says the home brew shop owner. Going home, he's stuck in traffic. The 25 min journey takes 55.

The next day he goes to his other local shop 35 minutes away (in my case). Again, they don't have exactly what he wants, but, eager to Brew something he takes the recommended substitute. Traffic is bad on the way back and it takes 75 minutes to get back. His wife isn't happy. Dinner is spoiled. Again.

Nevertheless, at the first opportunity, he gets stuck into brewing. Does everything he thinks he should, but the brewing lingo is new to him. "how can you flame out on an induction cooker?". Eventually, the brew is ready for bottling, and after conditioning, is left to 'mature'. There isn't a specific time, so he spends a hour or 2 on the Internet and comes up with what seems a reasonable time.

As the appointed time approaches, he readies himself. Glass in hand, he thinks to himself that if this is as good as it should be, it'll make up for the wife not speaking to him since he bought all the stuff. Her complaints are a bit harsh. The stuff isn't taking up that much space in the front room after all. And the 'fragrance' as he thinks it should be called is not at all like damp tom cats.

The alarm goes. "D(rinking) time". The cap comes off. The dark nectar pours into the glass. He sniffs the bouquet "Hmm piquant. Not mentioned in the recipe". A large gulp is taken. Cough, splutter, retch. "oh my God, that's fking horrible." A small sip follows. His face grimaces. His stomach contorts into a reef knot. "That foul stuff is not coming down here" the message is sent by morse code. Muttering and expletives follow. The gist of it is that the beer tastes like sheepdip mixed with verruca remover, with a hint of dog and cat flea lotion.

His wife comes in. "Well? How is it" "It's OK love. Pretty good actually. For a first go". "OK she says, don't go buying any more stuff until you've finished that lot, and you can get all that stuff out of the bedroom and front room. And don't go guzzling it all just because it's there. Don't want you going alcoholic". "Not much fking chance of that" he thinks.

Later when SHMBO is in bed. He gets out the paperwork. Hmm. He got everything on the list except for the substitutions, and did everything he thought he should. So, what went wrong?

Was it the substitutions that were inappropriate? Was the recipe written by some illiterate idiot who believed his own imagination that he was a genius brewer in the making, despite the fact that he had the taste buds of a rancid komodo dragon due to smoking liberal amounts of tobacco and crystal meths with the odd pound of cannabis thrown in? Or was it in fact the idiot's first recipe? Apart from that he's American and any country that raises people who cook pork in Coca-Cola, and put toast and jam on a cooked breakfast, and put maple syrup on eggs should be treated with suspicion when it comes to taste. And "correct doneness" is not a proper term to describe how long to cook something.

Did he do something wrong himself without knowing? Did he convert things correctly. Was it in fact Imperial Gallons not US? He doesn't know. What he does know is that he spent £5 on ingredients and £10 on petrol, and literally 6 hours finding and deciphering the recipe and ingredients, not to mention the hours spent driving to the shops. For what? Something toxic that shouldn't be put anywhere near living tissue or even allowed in the same room, that he now has to pour down the drain, not too fast that his wife thinks he's gone alky, but not too slow either because he wants it out of the house.

And what does he do next? He doesn't know the cause, so it might happen again. Hmmm. Extract kits are much easier he thinks. Maybe he should stick to them?

OK, a bit dramatic, but the point is, for an experienced brewer, kits seem expensive. But they're not. You're not only buying the ingredients, you're buying the intellectual property that you can brew again, anyway you like. You're paying for the time and skill that went into producing a recipe in kit form. You're buying convenience and reassurance of something that works. Yes, with experience we'll all be able to make our own recipes. There's several ways to get that experience.

One is by trying recipes from unknown random (or rancid) Internet Brewers who may or may not be skilled. If you go that way you can convert the units into a convenient batch size whilst wondering why the Americans are everywhere on the Internet and what damn right they have to tell us what British beer should taste like or what colour it should be. You just have to hope, using that method that you kiss a few princes amongst the frogs otherwise it can get demoralising. Of course, this is the cheapest method, but how much is your time worth? Is time spent doing the komodo dragon's recipe well spent?

The second way is to get recipes from people who appear skilled and competent. Perhaps they'll give some assistance as well. Life, work etc can get in the way of that though. And until you get to know them and taste their wares, you dunt know if they're Komodo Dragon's cousin.

The third way is to buy a kit. It'll come from someone skilled and competent. You'll get instructions and maybe extra assistance if you need it. And of course, everything you need comes to your door, no substitutions, no traffic jams, no spoiled dinners. No earache. Just a nice, smooth, trouble free experience that you can't wait to repeat.

Virtually everybody starts with extract kits. Why is that? Why should AG be different?

The value of something is not always shown in the price. Hopefully,, one or two might consider the above scenario and realise that paying a few quid for that background work isn't too bad. What would you rather have, Komodo Dragon's Extra Special Sheepdip recipe for free or a well thought out and tested, delicious recipe for say £3. Would you rather spend 4 hours driving all over the region to get the ingredients, or have someone collect, collate and package the ingredients for say £2 and send it direct to your door for say £3?

OK, I'll shut up now, except to say "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things". If you're not sure what that means, it's another way of saying "horses for courses".
Many thanks. Much sense and amusing heads hit on the proverbial.
I'll let you know how things progress.
I'm about to bottle 40 pints of Woodforde's Brue Gold . My 10th kit.

I was just commenting on the price of 850g pale malt, 6g black malt, 10g Styrian Holdings and a packet of yeast. Hardly amounts to being harsh or warrants an essay in reply I think? Apologies if it caused any offence though.

I would agree with the disproportionate cost of postage.
Need to use a whole pack of yeast & split + repackage hops.
Then you can do a better price comparison to 20l AG kits to work out your value for money.

If you see a kit you like it's cheaper to copy it into Brewfather, scale it to your requirements and order ingredients yourself.
Make up a few recipes at the same time and save on postage.

After a few months I did a "simple AG" brew this morning - BIAB style.
I just used what I have currently available, chucked it all together, no calculations or SG taken!
What can go wrong?? wink...

- 1 kg of Amber Malt
- 0.2 kg Wheat Malt
- 14l S/S pot on kitchen induction hob
- starting water volume 9l - gives me normally around 6.5 to 7l post boil
- 60 minute mash in the bag, starting at 72c
- 10g Target hops @ start of boil (bittering)
- 20g Citra hops @ last 10 minutes (aroma)

Having had a water meter fitted recently thought about how I can save water when cooling wort. So I thought I just leave the pot in the shed. Don't have one of those plastic cubes which are quite popular. So tomorrow morning I will pitch the yeast. Taped the lid down as it doesn't shut tightly, don't want a sour beer (not yet anyway!). Yeast is the last sachet I have, from a kit, can't remember which one, but still date.

Other observations:
- used a hop spider for the first time, brilliant helps cut down the amount of sludge remaining in the wort.
- the BIAB bag I have for that pot is pretty useless for the volume of grains, it hasn't got a flat bottom so when lifting it out of the pot wort is splattering all over, so need to get a better bag. Best to spend a bit extra - anyone know a good supplier?
- don't get distracted by other things as you wait for the boil to start. Had the lid on with a big gap but didn't notice it had slid into place and in no time there was a small boil over. Watch that pot!
- induction hob is brilliant we had one fitted earlier this year. Much easier to clean than the gas hob we had.

Anyway, hope in about a couple of weeks I should know how it turned out.
Will take a FG reading to make sure.

Couple of pics here:
View attachment 91652View attachment 91651

Meant to give an update on this ... the bottles have been understairs for a few weeks now conditioning. Tried a small taster bottle and a 1/2 litre in the interim. Reasonably carbonated (considering the understairs was down to 15c for at least a couple of weeks), good strength (from taste). Will take a photo when I next try a bottle.
The interesting bit: it actually tastes like brown ale and no hint of the Citra hop flavour. I guess a kilo of amber malt will create a fairly dark beer, not sure what the wheat malt added in terms of aroma, no wheaty taste, clearly overpowered by the amber malt aroma.
On balance a perfectly drinkable brown ale. I might try a variation next, reduce fermentables to 1 kilo (750g amber and 250g wheat) - all from the remainders I have left.

Meant to give an update on this ... the bottles have been understairs for a few weeks now conditioning. Tried a small taster bottle and a 1/2 litre in the interim. Reasonably carbonated (considering the understairs was down to 15c for at least a couple of weeks), good strength (from taste). Will take a photo when I next try a bottle.
The interesting bit: it actually tastes like brown ale and no hint of the Citra hop flavour. I guess a kilo of amber malt will create a fairly dark beer, not sure what the wheat malt added in terms of aroma, no wheaty taste, clearly overpowered by the amber malt aroma.
On balance a perfectly drinkable brown ale. I might try a variation next, reduce fermentables to 1 kilo (750g amber and 250g wheat) - all from the remainders I have left.
Just noticed that you used mostly amber malt, which isn't a base malt. Did you take a gravity reading before fermentation? Not much alcohol, I suspect.

Dohhhh .... I should know this ... must get some base malt.
Didn't take readings ... should really take this more serious.
I'll try another bottle tonight.
It's interesting cos these things aren't supposed to work. But I remember seeing the recipe that Brewdog published for Nanny State, the very low alcohol beer, and it had very little base malt. They've sold a lot of that beer!

After a few months I did a "simple AG" brew this morning - BIAB style.
I just used what I have currently available, chucked it all together, no calculations or SG taken!
What can go wrong?? wink...

- 1 kg of Amber Malt
- 0.2 kg Wheat Malt
- 14l S/S pot on kitchen induction hob
- starting water volume 9l - gives me normally around 6.5 to 7l post boil
- 60 minute mash in the bag, starting at 72c
- 10g Target hops @ start of boil (bittering)
- 20g Citra hops @ last 10 minutes (aroma)
A kilo of amber as the base should make for a pretty unique beer, best of luck, if it works - great! If not it's all good learning 👍

A kilo of amber as the base should make for a pretty unique beer, best of luck, if it works - great! If not it's all good learning 👍
Just been through another half litre of this brew and I must say I'm impressed!
Definitely brown ale type, nutty/chocolaty aroma, faint hint of fruitiness.
Alcohol wise I guess at least 3.5%, agree this is low so more of a session ale?
On finishing the bottle I said to myself, why not do another batch of this, using up the amber malt?!
Here's the pic, nice head, deep dark brown colour.
20231221_185420443_iOS.jpg

Just been through another half litre of this brew and I must say I'm impressed!
Definitely brown ale type, nutty/chocolaty aroma, faint hint of fruitiness.
Alcohol wise I guess at least 3.5%, agree this is low so more of a session ale?
On finishing the bottle I said to myself, why not do another batch of this, using up the amber malt?!
Here's the pic, nice head, deep dark brown colour.
View attachment 93565
That's brilliant! You've done something outside the rule book and it's come off. I might try a beer with a high amber %. Not that high though!

How have you worked out 3.5% ?

Latest posts

Back