Have i missed something ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a learning note though, I should usually add the Pectolase AND the camden tablets 24 hours before fermentation correct ? and then hydrate the dried yeast and add it.

I don't add pectolase or bother to re-hydrate the yeast.
Just press the apples, add one crushed campden tablet per gallon.
After 24(ish) hours I sprinkle on one sachet of Young's cider yeast, then leave it to get on with it!

Hope this helps...

Brilliant, Thank you.

I'm looking forward to see how it turns out, Have taken notes of everything so If it turns out good, I'll post the results.

Cheers guys

J

Just a little update & if some more advice can be given that would be great.

Finished fermentation.
Siphoned 3 times to remove sediment and then into a pressure barrel with a top up of sugar.

I have tasted today for the first time since it's been barrelled and it tastes very dry with a strong hint of vinegar, not sure why this has happened so any info would be appreciated.

Here was the hydrometer reading once fermentation had finished.

(I still have an issue with the pressure barrel frothing for the first 2 pints and then after that it struggles to pour, like there is no pressure at all)

Not bad for a first attempt, it's drinkable! that is the main thing :grin:

IMG_1933.JPG

Just a little update & if some more advice can be given that would be great.

Finished fermentation.
Siphoned 3 times to remove sediment and then into a pressure barrel with a top up of sugar.

I have tasted today for the first time since it's been barrelled and it tastes very dry with a strong hint of vinegar, not sure why this has happened so any info would be appreciated.

Here was the hydrometer reading once fermentation had finished.

(I still have an issue with the pressure barrel frothing for the first 2 pints and then after that it struggles to pour, like there is no pressure at all)

Not bad for a first attempt, it's drinkable! that is the main thing :grin:

how long id it ferment for + how log have you had it in the pressure barrel + temps youve had it at ?

how long id it ferment for + how log have you had it in the pressure barrel + temps youve had it at ?

It fermented for around 2 weeks, It has been in the pressure barrel now for 6 days and it has always been between 18-25 degrees.

how is it now after some time to mellow ?

Hi,

The Vinegar taste is no where near as strong as it was but do feel it has lost a bit of its taste. I have had a few tasters over the days to see how it's progressed, better than it was, a few errors made on the way so lessons learned on those fronts.

Hi,

The Vinegar taste is no where near as strong as it was but do feel it has lost a bit of its taste. I have had a few tasters over the days to see how it's progressed, better than it was, a few errors made on the way so lessons learned on those fronts.

adding some more apple juice and sugar wouldnt hurt :)

Latest posts

Back