HBC American Double IPA review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for a great write up. :thumb:

It sounds really good. Have you had any commercial beers you could compare it to?

Thanks for a great write up. :thumb:

It sounds really good. Have you had any commercial beers you could compare it to?

I will try again later when I have one which I think isn't a million miles away, although it does use different hops which are different I can draw a comparison because it is similar in style.

St Austell's Proper Job.

proper-job-group.png

That is an "English" IPA which is based on using American hops (I think willamette chinook and cascade) but using MO and Crystal.

It is a very similar colour and has a similar hope profile, I suppose Cascade and centennial are not a million miles away..

As I say not the same but of a similar style.. I have never tried brew dog so I cannot say

I will actually write up a conclusion now since I have now tried both parts of this.

Honestly and under no obligation I think this is a really great kit, The beer comes out light with a sweetish maltiness and it does have a bit of strenght which you cannot deny but its perfectly drinkable it has a sharpe bitter backbone and a real citrusy front, sounds like there is a lot going on but its perfectly balanced.

I split this batch into 2 because at the time I coulnd't do teh full lenght, both are similar although my second attempt came out 1% stronger. Both are great although I do prefer my 1st one purley because its a bit better balanced and I also dry hopped for 5 days instead of 3. But these are of course me being a newish you could say AG brewer looking at different methods.

I hadn't done anything like this (DIPA) before with extract brewing or an ordinary kit let alone all grain and I didn't have to worry about the recipe, it was picked for me so out the box so I didn't need to worry about whether or not it was good, it should be good and it was. Like I said above it reminds me of Proper Job

Anyway here is a picture the lighting perhaps makes the drink look a toucher darker than it was..

Thank you to everyone for organising this and to HBC.. I am certainly going to pick another one of these up possibly the Stout MyQul did.

DSC_0285.jpg

That does look like a great pint - bit strong for my personal tastes but great right up and it does look lovely !

I must say this beer does improve with age. I initially found it a bit lacking in hop flavour but after a couple of months the hops have become much more pronounced.
I sent one out on a bottle swap on another forum and it was very well received.

Yes it did, my first part was always good but my second half which was stronger took a bit more time and now is good too.. its a great pint and very well balanced

Thsi weekend I moved my DIPA into the garage to finish off conditioning. I noticed it was still very cloudy, almost like a chicken soup in colour. Did your's take a while to clarify?

(taedt ok though :whistle:)

Latest posts

Back