Heated Enviroment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenki

Reaction score
Hi All,
Thought I'd share some pic's of my Heated Enviroment:
I Decided to utilise some space under an existing shelving unit, the basic idea was to sandwich 25mm polystyrene between 11mm osb board, on all sides then add a tubular heater and room stat to keep it warm, i'll worry about cooling when i know what to do, and when it's needed.

so here goes....
25mm polystyrene on the base, then 2 sides positioned, door hung.
base.jpg
sides.jpg
door.jpg

Temperature is displayed with an inside / outside thermometer, I added a shelf for bottles, my 1st AG is there and there is space underneath for 4 FV's, I added extra polystyrene to the base and you can make out the room stat on the right and the tubular heaters on the left and rear.
temp.jpg
working.jpg
shut.jpg

Anybody know what to do to maintain the temperature when it's hot? i.e. how to cool it

Looks good Jenki, I'm still building my FV cupboard and haven't settled on a heating solution yet. Its either going to be a light bulb or an Argos tube heater. I'm not too worried about cooling, as I doubt my shed ever gets over 24c, its cold in these here hills. So will just attach a bog standard room thermostat.

I am currently posting on freecycle for anyone with a small fridge I can have. Someone offered one of those stella fridges and i just missed out on it. I thought that one of those taken apart would be an ideal size.

jenki said:
Anybody know what to do to maintain the temperature when it's hot? i.e. how to cool it

You would need to reverse engineer your lovely creation and then reassemble it, and then control via a two channel PID controller one channel for your tube heaters (heating) the second to turn the compressor on in the fridge (cooling).

But if you want cooling a very good way to do it would be as Bolty has done in the following link viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4060

UP

Vossy1 said:
Use a beer cooler which pumps cold water through a product coil which sits in your fv, have a nosey here :thumb:

Ok That seems to be my next project, I am planning to use a flash cooler as an IC, so If I can get a two line chiller then I can use one port to chill the wort and the other as a FV chiller, And control them with a PID.

Three AG brews down and my lifes consummed with making beer, making beer making equipment and drinking beer made with my me with my beer making equipment. :wha:

JIC it might be of interest

Depending on the design of the chiller you buy, you can easily add an extra line or 2 for fv cooling, by using a submersible pump, or external pump fitted below the reservoir water bath level for the supply. You can create a multi return manifold instead of having lots of singular ones also.

Hi all, my name is Ron, I'm a retired Licensee so as I now have LOADS of time on my hands I decided to do some brewing and wine making. I found this thread interesting as i am considering going down the same rout and using a flash cooler to chill the wort. My idea is to use the recirculation of the cooler to run cold water through a coil but using glycol in the resevoir tank. Unit plugged into an Ink Bird controller to control the tempretue. Any thoughts???

Latest posts

Back