hello all! greetings from the emerald isle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhippo

Reaction score
hi all my name is jonny or jc to most, i am quite new to all grain brewing enoying it just about a year now, having dabbled with a few hedgerow wines in the past, hoping to share some recipes and recieve some good knowledge, cheers all!

This is turning into a NI forum :) The rest of you can go find your own site :D

If your in Belfast or close, there is a home brewers club in Belmont Church Road this coming Tuesday if your interested. Usually a talk and some samples (bring some of your own.)

What type of beers do you brew? Any decent recipes?

My House Stout is super simple
3kg Irish Stout Malt
1kg Flaked Barley
500g Black Barley
100g Acidulated malt

Any hop to bring it to 30 bitterness and S04 or 05.

The acidulated malt is the key but all the sizes can be purchased in those sizes so no wastage or measuring.

welcome - there do seem to be a fair few of you from across the Irish sea, not that, that is a bad thing!

This is turning into a NI forum :) The rest of you can go find your own site :D

If your in Belfast or close, there is a home brewers club in Belmont Church Road this coming Tuesday if your interested. Usually a talk and some samples (bring some of your own.)

What type of beers do you brew? Any decent recipes?

My House Stout is super simple
3kg Irish Stout Malt
1kg Flaked Barley
500g Black Barley
100g Acidulated malt

Any hop to bring it to 30 bitterness and S04 or 05.

The acidulated malt is the key but all the sizes can be purchased in those sizes so no wastage or measuring.

Sorry to go off topic but your recipe is interesting, I've not seen acid malt added to a stout before. Is that to replicate the partial sour mash tang you get in Guinness?

Sorry to go off topic but your recipe is interesting, I've not seen acid malt added to a stout before. Is that to replicate the partial sour mash tang you get in Guinness?

Yes and it works great. You can also sour it by adding lactic acid but that seems a lot of hard work for the same results. If you wanted to brew a true Guinness then you'd have to change the water profile but KISS! That recipe I gave works brilliant with Belfast water ;)

Yes and it works great. You can also sour it by adding lactic acid but that seems a lot of hard work for the same results. If you wanted to brew a true Guinness then you'd have to change the water profile but KISS! That recipe I gave works brilliant with Belfast water ;)

do you have an analysis of your local water, ph etc ?

do you have an analysis of your local water, ph etc ?

No but I know water hardens the further North of the British Isle you go. I know we have different water, more akin to Scotland than Southern Ireland and England.

I have a TDS of around 10 which is pretty neutral but I've never checked the actual composite of the water.

hi all and yes glad to see more fellow ni men especially a glens man! unfortunately im from a bit further north in ballymoney so bit hard to get down to the club, jackie did mention it in natures way, i like the american pales and ipa's i do have a tested recipe for an amarillo cascade pale ale simple grain bill, will post it up when i did it out, have done a couple of coffee stouts before, but your recipe looks like a winner

No but I know water hardens the further North of the British Isle you go. I know we have different water, more akin to Scotland than Southern Ireland and England.

I have a TDS of around 10 which is pretty neutral but I've never checked the actual composite of the water.

i think the unoffical test is to see how much soap you have to lather up to get scum form - the harder the water the more it takes ?

someone will most likely correct me here tho

Latest posts

Back