Hello folks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosie

Reaction score
I am really looking forward to sharing information and gleaning knowledge from experienced cider wine and beer makers.

A friend gave me some rooted vine cuttings about 5 years ago and this year so many little grape were hanging around I picked a few mashed them with a potato masher I added one and a half camden tabs I added a red wine yeast 5 days later having purchased a ss fruit press and collecting one and a half gallons of must- this was fermented in DJ for 3 days and now I have just done my first syphon off.

Meanwhile I noticed that a perry pear tree that I planted about 11 years ago had quite a good crop so as I had a press it seemed a shame to waste them- I made the mistake of purchasing a 60L fermenter as I had know Idea just how much fruit would be needed to fill it, I was getting just under two and a half liters per 7kilos of perrys, I ran out of perry pears at about 40 litres - then I remembered I had a Worcester black tree(rare old variety large hard tannin rich skin-used for cooking I think?) that was loaded with large fruits, so picked every one of these and after pressing I had enough to fill to the 60Lt top.
I have not added any yeast or Camden tabs to the perry and it has begun to ferment and the airlock is in place.

I had the bug by then and looked around for some apples-I pressed a few small golden apples of a fairly newly planted old eating variety plus an old variety small russet that was planted at the same time, poured the juice into a plastic fizzy water bottle and a few days later I was surprised to feel how hard the bottle had become, great smell and taste I thought I could find enough apples to fill a 30 Lt which I am still doing. I have added a champagne type yeast and no Camden tabs to my cider and it has begun to ferment and the airlock is in place.

Any advice pointers will be gratefully acknowledged, I am here to learn.

Latest posts

Back