hello from long time stalker, new member

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebrew

Reaction score
HI,

I've just joined the forum and wanted to follow etiquette and say "Hi".

To introduce myself in home brew terms: my homebrew experience started 23 years ago, aged 16 when I walked out of Boots with my best one of the Boots own FV and lager kit and bumped straight into one of my teachers outside the shop. That kit was a disaster, and I left it a few years before trying another couple at Uni when I invested in my first pressure barrel. Again mostly a disaster, one of those beers that was basically an argument in a glass.

Anyway, having left homebrewing for about a dozen years my father-in-law got me back into it about 6 years ago when he gave me a 50 or so old corona bottles. The bug still didn't really take until this year when I decided to really give it a go.

So I've been stalking this site, looking for the odd recipe and tips through the year. Kits that have been and gone this year include the wilko's: Golden Ale, Hoppy Copper, Basic Lager
Festival: Yorshire landlaord and Pilgrims Hope (both way too hoppy thanks to slow ferments)
Coopers: Australian Stout (which I pretty much "ditch'd" and was v. good),
St Peter's: Golden Ale and Ruby Red
Simply (ritchie's): Bitter

I've mainly bottled but also dug out the old Boots PB and it works better than a KingKeg I got off ebay earlier in the year, I think the safety pressure release valve helps.

In July I "invested" in four corneys which came with gas bottles and a dalex tap. Mixed success with them to be honest but I'll post more on that looking for help seperately.

Also part of my essentials are two fish tank immersion heaters, both 25W mainly to avoid the extra slow ferments that lead to my problems with the Festival kits.

I've also played with wine, brewing 3 'own brand' kits from my lhbs as well as a few WOW types - my top WOW tip "never use anything with peach in it, it's a pain to clear".

Currently drinking: Coopers Ginger Beer (bottled & excellent), Australian Draught (corney'd & problematic), and the last of the still too hoppy Festival Kits.
Conditioning: Ruby Red (PB) and a Festival Golden Stag (trusty bottles).
Waiting to brew: Milestone Raspberry Wheat & Wilko Light Delicate Pilsener. Also in the bottom drawer fpor the last 3 months about £10 worth of lager malt that I can't bring myself to get on with to try my first AG.

Anyway, nice to finally say hello and I'm hoping for some help and advice with my first help post when I get approved.

Cheers

Dave

Welcome.....bet we improve on your sucess rate....

Help advice and tips aplenty on the forum

Latest posts

Back