Hello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading it since December and getting some good information already, thanks.

I re-started the hobby after a 30+yr break, starting with a Woodfordes Wherry complete kit, and I was very impressed with how it turned out, and I've since made a second one to make sure it wasn't beginners luck.

Glad I started with the Wherry as I'd have been a bit disheartened if the Wilko IPA had been my first. That one has turned out a bit flat (although maybe it will still improve with age).

I've now got a Tom Caxton real ale on the go, and also just started a Geordie lager.

I'm not planning on all grain brewing at the moment, but I like the idea of trying a range of kits, experimenting with the recipes here and there, and trying to find a small selection of beers that can match or stand alongside the ones I usually get from the supermarket.

Hehe, I've also just planted a couple of hop roots in the garden for a bit of fun, so I might even be adding a hop tea to one of my brews by the end of the year.

So far, the Wherry has passed my personal (exacting?) tests (for taste, fizz, clarity & alc. strength in that order I think) and has earned a coveted spot on my little beer shelf ; the Tom Caxton is soon to be bottled, but a very early test leads me to think it might also make it to the shelf; however the Wilko IPA (7 wks old now) is still confined to the cupboard under the sink in the downstairs toilet; as is the Wilkinsons Golden ale, though that one is younger & showing some slight carbonation so might make yet make it to the shelf.

Finally, the Geordie lager was only started two days ago. I must say it doesn't look to have much colour, but it's now shut away in the fv and after one sneak peek I could see a massive foam on it so at least it has made a good start, time will tell.

Anyway, that's enough rambling on :)

Cheers

Haha, Nobody can eat 50 eggs! That is brilliant thanks.
(What a great film, it's really about time I watched it again soon).

'What you have to go and say 50 for? Why couldn't y' say 35. Or 39?'
'It seemed a nice round number.'
:hat::cheers7: Yep, definitely watching it again this week now, they don't make classics like that anymore.

Welcome to the forum, The Wherry is a lovely beer and gets better and better with age. The Tom Caxton, I've not done but the reviews are somewhat mixed. The Wilko kits I've done a lot of and they all need dressing up to the nines to get any flavour out of them at all. Saying that though they are a great blank canvas for an individual or mixture of hops or other flavour additions. All except their stout, I didn't like that at all.

Thanks LarryF, yes I agree about the Wilko kits. I hope my current ones eventually come good, but anyway I will try them again in the future with some different additions.

Back