HELP! Fermentation stops too early!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babs

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been brewing a Tom Caxton Real Ale kit since last Saturday. Had an OG of 1.040 and it stopped bubbling 2 days ago and is stuck on 1.008.

I've been trying to find a thread about re-pitching or other advice and can't find anything even though I know there's plenty out there.

This is my 10th project and my first to not have a satisfactory outcome.

Is there anything I can do? I don't want to be stuck with 25 litres of 3.5% beer!

Many thanks!

Hi there,

I've been brewing a Tom Caxton Real Ale kit since last Saturday. Had an OG of 1.040 and it stopped bubbling 2 days ago and is stuck on 1.008.

I've been trying to find a thread about re-pitching or other advice and can't find anything even though I know there's plenty out there.

This is my 10th project and my first to not have a satisfactory outcome.

Is there anything I can do? I don't want to be stuck with 25 litres of 3.5% beer!

Many thanks!

Mornin' Babs.
1008 is quite low, and 4.2% is what my calculations say (for what they're worth). If you prime with sugar, you'll add easily another 0.5% in priming sugar, so don't worry too much about the abv.

BUT if it really bothers you, here's a review of someone who brewed a half kit and like it.
AND you could also dissolve some sugar (or beer enhancer) in a pint of lukewarm water (boiled, then cooled) and upgrade the brew a bit. But I'd have to do some other calculation to get proper amounts.

4.2% ABV, 79% apparent attenuation. It's not stuck, it's finished. lol 79% is actually good attenuation for a normal everyday ale yeast. You want higher than that, you're heading into Belgian territory, or Mangrove Jack's West Coast (the stuff is mental!).

Thanks GerritT and AdeDunn for your advice. You were right, Gerrit it was 4.2%. No idea what attenuation is, will have to look it up!

I will also investigate that Mangrove Jack stuff!

Thanks GerritT and AdeDunn for your advice. You were right, Gerrit it was 4.2%. No idea what attenuation is, will have to look it up!

I will also investigate that Mangrove Jack stuff!
Bear in mind that higher attenuation means more ABV but also a drier beer. If you’re aiming for a English-style bitter, you want less attenuation to leave some residual sweetness. To increase the ABV you should use more fermentables - sugar is cheap, but using too much will also dry out the beer (sugar ferments out fully) - a better option is to use some malt extract. Dried is easier to work with as you can keep part of a packet for your next brew - storing liquid malt is a bit more of a faff.

I made a brown ale on Sunday and was shocked to find it finished this evening 60hrs after pitching.

Latest posts

Back