Help - hopping at turn off ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeestonHop_John

Reaction score
hi all,
I am fairly new to AG brewing, and I notice that some recipes call for an addition of hops 'at turn off'.
Now, obviously this means at the end of the boil, but what do I add them to? The boil kettle? (Which would mean they are in the wort for a minute at most, before I drain into fermentation, for cooling).
Or do I add to the fermentation bucket, where I then drain the wort & then cool with the immersion chiller?
:confused:
cheers, John

Im fairly new to AG myself but I think they are added exactly as you said at "flame out" or "at end of boil", then I believe that most people chill in the boiler (i know I do), or they are left to "steep" for a while before chilling (depending on how quickly you chill).

Once chilled, then transferred to FV.

Oh right, so you chill in the boiler? (Does everyone do that?) I read somewhere that if you chill in the boiler, the proteins that coagulated during the hot break can be re-absorbed/re-dissolved into the wort. Since then I have been transferring to the FV right at flame out, and then chilling in the FV, to create the cold break.
Any other advice from anyone on this?
cheers

I think most home brewers chill in the kettle. Breweries transfer the beer to the FV via a heat exchanger, so it's cooled in between.

Whichever you do, flame out hops are left to stand in the hot wort for 20-30 mins usually, before chilling. Or the beer is chilled to 80C and then the hops are added, and the chilling resumes after 20-30 mins.

Not heard that protein reabsorption idea before, but no reason why you can't chill on the FV after the hop stand.

Chuck your hops in at the end of the boil, when you turn your heat off (flame out) and leave them in there for at least 15 mins (up to 30 mins) then cool and transfer to FV

I cool in the FV hough because I don't have a wort chiller. Never heard of proteins being reabsorbed into the wort due to chilling. Can't think it's true though as a huge amount of HBer's chill in the kettle using a wort chiller

Back