help me save my Belgian Tripel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed a Tripel, batch primed and bottled. Ater a few weeks conditioning I cracked one open to see how it was doing and the beer was flat as a pancake and very sweet...from the priming sugar. Seems like there has been zero yeast activity during the few weeks of conditioning. Ignoring the sweetness it did taste pretty good to be fair...so I'm keen to save it. The way I see it I have two options...keg it and force carbonate it...but then it will be too sweet due to the priming sugar that was added, or keg it and add a yeast starter and see if I can get a bit of fermentation going to gobble up the priming sugar and maybe finish off the primary fermentation (didn't quite hit final gravity).

So what does the hive mind think I should do or are there any other options open to me I haven't considered?

Thanks.

Carefully decant to a bottling bucket and add a small amount of champagne yeast, Lalvin Ec1118 is good, re-bottle. Or even better, hydrate some champagne yeast and dose each bottle with a small syringe. You'll only need about 0.1g/L of yeast for the batch.

Back