Help my beer smells eggy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coups

Reaction score
Ok so I've done roughly 11 kits, the 1st one was a golden stag festival kit, and I'm doing it again. But for some reason while it's fermenting it stinks of old feet or eggyness haha

I now use bottled water from asda and it's been working great. With this brew I boiled Syrian goldings for 45mins & added to the FV, I also used 4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient from Wilkos. I also used - (under the assumption it might help clear the beer) - 2 Camden tablets.

1st time using the yeast nutrient & Camden tablets. Could these be the cause of the smell? Or is it more likely that my cleaning & sterilising methods aren't upto scratch.

Any help appreciated :thumb::)

The root cause may be that your fermenting at cooler temps.

The eggy smell is sulphur compounds produced by the yeast (although some can come from malt too). Normally the eggy sulphur compounds are carried away with the C02 during a good vigourous fermentation but if you fermented cool the compounds can stay in the solution in the wort.

If you ever brew a Lager they often have an eggy smell during fermentation due to the cooler temps.

If your beer is still in the fermentation stage, try to warm it up to get a good vigourous fermantation going.

Thanks MyQul, its fermenting at 19-21 oC and has been all week. When i tasted some from the trial jar i got a slight taste of egg/sulphur but also an aftertaste of malty beer. Im edging towards my cleanliness but still unsure if its the additives.

Back