Help! Over carbonation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickpeanut

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm right now in the middle of bottling a brewferm pils kit. However, as I've been adding a half teaspoon of sugar to each full bottle, major foaming and spilling is occurring. Now I can handle having to 'top up' each bottle, but what worries me is that this beer seems to have came out the fv with an amount of carbonation? Can this be right? I've now started to put in only a quarter teaspoon sugar in to each bottle.

Most importantly, have I got bottle bombs on my hands now that I've added the sugar to each bottle?

Any advice here is most appreciated... I've never had this happen before and I'm worried.

sounds like the yeasts have not finished fermenting your brew...Leave it longer in FV until its stopped working

Are you adding the sugar to the bottle after you have filled it? Try adding the sugar first and then filling on top of it. It's normal for the beer to retain some of the CO2 :)

Yeah as scott says put the sugar in the bottle before adding the beer. Lay out your bottles in rows, and use a funnel and add sugar to all of them, then start bottling. :thumb:

Funny how I was about to ask the same question after bottling my fixby gold yesterday.

Foam everywhere for those that I added the sugar to after filling, those I added the sugar before filling ended up with a massive gap at the top of the bottle as the foam started when filling.

Could it have been due to using fine brewing sugar?

ushills said:
Funny how I was about to ask the same question after bottling my fixby gold yesterday.

Foam everywhere for those that I added the sugar to after filling, those I added the sugar before filling ended up with a massive gap at the top of the bottle as the foam started when filling.

Could it have been due to using fine brewing sugar?
Do you use a "little bottler" when bottling the beer to stop it splashing into the bottle?

Yes, little bottler used and it starts foaming as soon as the beer hits the sugar. Ended up with half beer, half foam in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back