Help Please with Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dearleuk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started this two weeks ago, 22 Ltr I let it brew for 8 days and then tuned of the heat to let it clear for a couple of days. I then siphoned it out of the bucket and into another bucket to add the apple juice for the secondary fermentation. I noticed there was very little spent yeast in the bottom of bucket and it did taste a bit sweet. so measured the SG and it was 1006. Put the bucket back on the heat to try and save it, but there are no bubbles or any sign of fermentation.

Is it all lost? I have got some more of the cider yeast, will adding another sachet of that help? If so, just sprinkle on top?

I did post this in the turbo cider thread, but perhaps not many people read that

Thank you for any help and advice

It would probably go a bit lower. What was your original recipe? Why are you putting it in another bucket and adding apple juice? There will be enough yeast to ferment out any remaining sugars. I'd put the heat on and leave it at least another week.

Just remember in future yeast are not on the "clock" :laugh8:

Gravity and gravity alone is the measure of fermentation.Time does not even come into it.

I hope you can restart it,(not always easy).
If not you can use it for blending with a dry batch

Last edited:
What you did was actually similar to a very old technique that used to be practiced in very hot countries before the advent of refrigeration.
Wine was prematurely racked at the beginning of the fermentation to slow it down, Leaving the remaining yeast to rebuild the colony.
Lets hope yours does too.

What I don't get is why you did this.?????
As:>
Removing the heat suddenly can trigger dormancy in yeast that is difficult to recover from.
Rebuilding the colony at the late stage you racked is not easy.

Starting again using fresh yeast is a long winded process with only a modest success rate, To find out the nuts n bolts google " restarting stuck fermentation".

The simplest answer is keep it warm and hope it restarts.

My earlier comment about yeast not being on the clock was a bit of humour but true, Some of my fermentation's have taken 3weeks others 6months. Only the hydrometer can guide you.

I did a very similar thing myself about 25yrs ago.

Had a 5gal wine kit on,all going nicely,The wine heater was plugged into the socket i normally reserved for my microwave.
So came home from pub with takeaway I wanted to re-heat in the microwave,So i unplugged the wine and re-heated my meal,Ate it and went to bed.
Got up about 6hrs later went to make coffee and noticed the airlock was not blooping,Saw to my horror the wine was unplugged and had cooled overnight,So I plugged the heater back in and went to work came back that night,Nothing next day,Nothing and so on.It never restarted and was to pour away.

The temperature drop was only 8 degrees but was enough to make the yeast dormant
I fitted extra sockets so this would never happen again.

There is a possibility if you keep yours warm it might restart, Give it another one to two weeks on the heat pad.

Its ok I know how you feel.

I have been making wine for over 50yrs and still i am like an expectant father with every brew.

Latest posts

Back