Help with beer pumps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarveye

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m new to brewing game and am also building an old style home bar, I want to buy an old Beer tap andfound a surround I really like, but I dunno what I need to turn it into a full tap set up?

I don’t really think I’ll be using it as a tap for a keg very often maybe for the odd party twice a year, but would be good if it worked I guess..

main thing I want is to buy this surround then buy the appropriate tap/handle to fit into it, is there some standard universal pub tap insert that fits these? The fonts often are sold like this without any actual tap etc

784-E3-E7-E-F664-46-F2-AA58-7-E5-CC2-A4-CF8-B.png

The answer is... Quite a lot of kit. You'd need a tap (in this case a font too), 2x beer/gas line, connectors, a gas cylinder and a regulator. And of course a keg. You'd probably want some kind of fridge to hold the keg in too. Plenty of threads on here about kegerator builds. If you wanted to spend money and do less work, buy a 1 tap kegerator and then fit the surround retrospectively.

Ok thanks, I guess until I need it to operate with a keg, then purely for the bar appearance I’d just need the font and tap/drip tray? I guess my main concern is ... are these pretty universal for a surround like this? Or would I need to hunt down the right one to fit this?

It is apparently a light up tap/font yes, I found several with same description but none came with an actual tap

It's just a promotional light, it's not a font.
You'll need a proper pub 24 volt transformer to operate it.
A font will probably cost you from £60 upwards, but you could get lucky, I have in the past.
Prices shot up during the first lockdown, the pubs were shut and home bars became the thing.
The fancier the font the more you'll pay, although Becks do a very nice ceramic one that can often be picked up for a bargain.

I've just set up my own bar with fonts and whilst I did not use this company, they seem to have a lot of old style fonts for sale and might be able to advise you of a suitable font/tap that would fit inside it. It looks a similar size in terms of height as this one they have for example MU font. Maybe you could get the innards of something like that and put your shroud around it.
man-united-beer-dispense-font-23sept-2020-100x100.jpg

To make it light up it's just 24V ac. You don't necessarily need a pub transformer. For my setup I used a Christmas lights adapter as it was more compact and cheaper. Just need to check the ratings - on modern fonts with LED lights the load is very low, but that being an older font may use incandescent bulbs which could need a bit more wattage.

I've just set up my own bar with fonts and whilst I did not use this company, they seem to have a lot of old style fonts for sale and might be able to advise you of a suitable font/tap that would fit inside it. It looks a similar size in terms of height as this one they have for example MU font. Maybe you could get the innards of something like that and put your shroud around it.
man-united-beer-dispense-font-23sept-2020-100x100.jpg

To make it light up it's just 24V ac. You don't necessarily need a pub transformer. For my setup I used a Christmas lights adapter as it was more compact and cheaper. Just need to check the ratings - on modern fonts with LED lights the load is very low, but that being an older font may use incandescent bulbs which could need a bit more wattage.
Great thanks, sure I could just uograde it with a simple led light for Inside

Latest posts

Back