Help with cherry wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjh

Reaction score
My wife wants me to make her a cherry beer with a similar kind of flavour intensity to timmermans. I was thinking of using a wheat beer kit, splitting half off and adding cherry concentrate to the secondary. Any idea how much concentrate to add?

I havent tried it, and it seems a little pricey but what about brewferm kriek ?

I have done the framboise which is raspberry and was very nice and gets better with age. The brewferm kits get a really good rep.

I havent tried it, and it seems a little pricey but what about brewferm kriek ?

I have done the framboise which is raspberry and was very nice and gets better with age. The brewferm kits get a really good rep.

How strong is the raspberry flavour? She'd want it to taste more fruity than beery.

It is quite fruity to my tastebuds mate? I dont think its over powering, i think its quite a refreshing taste. In the kit review section theres loads of posts on both the raspberry brewferm and the cherry one.

I made one using Wilkos wheat beer kit and after a week added 4kg of frozen cherries from sainsburys. Turned out really nice.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

My wife wants me to make her a cherry beer with a similar kind of flavour intensity to timmermans. I was thinking of using a wheat beer kit, splitting half off and adding cherry concentrate to the secondary. Any idea how much concentrate to add?

depends on the amount of sugars in the concentrate. if it's cherry extract that's different to the polish cherry syrups. timmermans cherry is a low-ish abv beer.

i've have many different cherry beers from 2.8% to 8% abv.

you could add this to a sample of fermented beer say 200ml , and keep
adding until you get the flavour you want then multiply up to your batch size bearing in mind your base recipe should be close to the timmermans abv.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Cherry-Extract.html

A cherry wheat beer will be nice but not like a timmermans which has a different 'beer' as its base.

I've got a 237ml bottle of cherry active, 100% cherry concentrate from Holland and barrett. Should I use all of that in 10ltr ish of beer?

I've got a 237ml bottle of cherry active, 100% cherry concentrate from Holland and barrett. Should I use all of that in 10ltr ish of beer?

A little trial and error might be required. If you have some beer in the house add a known quantity of the cherry concentrate to a known quantity of beer until the flavour is correct then scale it up to 10L.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/cherry-active-ltd-concentrate-60006813?brandId=303

not the same bottle but the 210ml bottle at recommended dilution give 1.68 litres so i'd say this would be way too little for 10 litres, but as Strange Steve has said try a dilution test to find the strength for you. Note that the brewferm cherry kit is substantially dearer than the raspberry version due to the dear cost of the fruit. cherry is one of the dearer fruits to add. :-(

Well I made the kit and split it tonight , racked 10ltr onto 1.2ltr of cherry active concentrate. Would have been far far cheaper to just buy a kit.

Now for the next problem. The og of my wheat beer was 1.041. Tonight, after 12 days, it had dropped to 1.012. The half that I mixed with the cherry now has a reading of 1.042. When I get a fg on the cherry side, how do I calculate the real abv?

You will be able to work out the abv by using 1.071 as your og, that's the 41 initial gravity points plus the 30 you added in the syrup.
1.2L in 10L of beer sounds like a lot to me, did you taste a sample at that concentration?

Yes, tried 30ml concentrate in 250ml of beer. My wife likes it more cherry taste less beer taste.

Back