Help with hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulchef

Reaction score
Being partially blind I can’t read the scale on a hydrometer unless I take a photo that I can then zoom wonder if someone could help how I work out the abv, I guess I should invest in a tilt or similar
The pre ferment I read as 60 so is that 1.060 ?
The second 2 graduations below 1.000 or in the yellow bottling zone
TIA

Attachments

• 9D284B87-76A6-4D18-806A-96E83DC2E7C3.jpeg
    9D284B87-76A6-4D18-806A-96E83DC2E7C3.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 74A287B5-283E-4D99-B9B2-B4A7AFD4897C.jpeg
    74A287B5-283E-4D99-B9B2-B4A7AFD4897C.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 38
Well it has dried out by my guestimate to about 1.004. You take the reading from a line drawn from the top of the main liquid, not the bit that drags up the side of the hydrometer by surface tension.

Use this calculator for the abv
https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/
Should be fine to bottle if it's been at that for 24 hours.

What yeast / beer is it as it's attenuated very well.

A tilt / ispindel useful but not accurate enough, perhaps consider an electronic refractometer, they have a big display but cost a fair bit.
The easydens also meant to be very good but I've not laid hands on one.

Thanks for the reply, it’s a strawberry & lime turbo cider for the kids (grown up kids haha) they like the sweet flavoured ciders, so gave it a go. I used a sweetened yeast for cider and it’s plenty sweet for my liking. I’m more bitter, ipa & stout. Hope to finish my shed extension this spring and go all grain and also keep SWMBO happy by not messing up the kitchen😂

Magnifying glasses and hydrometers are no good to me (hand tends to involuntarily chuck things on floor), eyes are aging and I suffer "Saccadic Intrusions" (don't ask). So I resorted to "pyknometer bottles" some time ago. E.g. How accurate is your hydrometer?!!.

"Tilts" are na bad either but cost a bit!

[EDIT: Tilts can be a bit misleading, so the Pycnometer is my favoured tool and "calibrates" the Tilt whenever I use it. And the "Tilt Pro" is miles better.]

Last edited:
Check your hydrometer instructions...some you read from the bottom of the meniscus and some the top. With mine you read from the top of the meniscus.

though I love a floating hydrometer the readings are not accurate and can be quite 'noisy' as it moves around in the wort and Krausen sticks to it and modifies the reading. Great to monitor the trends and see when fermentation has finished, but the reading rarely agrees with my refractometer or hydrometer. Can be as much as 10 points adrift.

Check your hydrometer instructions...some you read from the bottom of the meniscus and some the top. With mine you read from the top of the meniscus.
If you are just interested in ABV it doesn't matter where you read from as long as you are consistent. The calculation involves subtracting one from the other so if you always read from either top or bottom they will cancel out in the calculation.

Thank you everyone for your input, I’d forgotten about my magnifier lamp which is sitting in the cupboard 😂 I’ll have to fetch it out, it will give SWMBO another thing to have a moan about, roll on my shed build

Latest posts

Back