Help with my wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyboy

Reaction score
Hi guys I've got a 21 day wine with about 10 days left.
This is my first wine kit :) My question is- when it's ready can I rack it into my demijohns and leave it in there to mature for a few weeks and just put a rubber bung into the demijohn to keep out the nastys
Thanks guys

Yes, you can rack it to DJs :thumb:
They should be filled to the base of the neck to keep any air space to a minimum, which is why it's often handy to have an old half gallon jar or modern 2 litre scrumpy jar.

No, unless you are absolutely certain your wine is properly stabilised, don't use solid rubber bungs :nono:
Use drilled bungs with airlocks, or solid corks but don't ram them home too hard, or just wrap the necks with cling film.

Thanks Moley il do that when it's all done in the fv once again thanks
Matty

I tend to use the pressure relief plastic bung from my LHBS, they are about £1.50 a go but reusable, means I have airlocks freed up for the next batches!! Its a halfway house between airlocks and solid bungs with any pressure allowed to escape

Hi are they the plastic bungs with a red top like button and rubber seal on them? If so il get some from my LHBS.

Latest posts

Back