Help with under carbonated beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgieV

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I bottled my latest beer a week ago calculating the priming sugar with an online tool. Yesterday I decided that the time has come to have one and got very disappointed with the level of carbonation. Previously I have always used a teaspoon of dry table sugar per bottle and they usually get well carbonate or just slightly high on carbonation but normally done within a week. This time I decided to calculate the priming sugar, measure the amount, dissolve in water, boil it and then distribute equally with a syringe. I used 70 grams of sugar for the total of 10 liters. I'm wondering what may have gone wrong?
And most importantly, should I wait any longer or should I add extra sugar (but how much?). Luckily the bottles are swing-top so I can easily add more sugar.

Any ideas are highly appreciated.

What temperature do you have them at? I usually find at 20C they carbonate in about 5 days but I always leave them at room temperature for the full 2 weeks before storing in a cool place for conditioning.

I keep them at room temperature which in my case is around 20C. I'll give them another week. If the carbonation level feels the same will add a bit more sugar.

I keep them at room temperature which in my case is around 20C. I'll give them another week. If the carbonation level feels the same will add a bit more sugar.
If they don't carbonate the issue isn't the amount of sugar, 7g/l is quite a lot. Keep them warm for another few days and try another.

The beer did carbonate after all. I believe the slow carbonation may have something to do with the gelatine clearing followed by 4-5 days in the fridge. It developed a bit of haze after carbonation but still one of my best beers so far.

Well...given the carbonation speed and my drinking speed, it won't last long enough to over carbonate ;)

For the record, it's a Punk IPA clone - slightly modified.

Latest posts

Back