Help with WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudentFermenter

Reaction score
Hey everyone, spent a while reading all the posts, so hopefully not completely clueless, just a few questions about my WOW variations.

I've got two on the go currently

2lr AJ + 1L Cranberry Juice
+ Tannin/wine yeast/water to fill DJ/nutrient and everything sterilised.
sugar to Sg of 1.072

Second one

1ltr wgj 1 Ltr rgj and 1ltr cranberry and raspberry juice drink (ocean spray)
again everything needed and sugar to 1.076 (Hoping for a fruity rosè style)

Now In my eagerness I set these up yesterday and today respectively, but I'm driving back to my university on Saturday.
Now Ideally I want to stop fermentation so my journey is less bubbly, and would ideally like to stop the yeast, and rack it into another dj to remove most of the sediment, and let it settle up there. Or even just to flat out clear it with finings and bottle to take back.

But I've read on here that some people recommend not stopping the yeast early for fear of the yeast not finishing up. Now I'm not too worried about the alcohol content, just I'd rather have a clearer wine/cider.

Should I be measuring the cider and stop and rack when reached about 5% due to the leftover sugar I wouldn't need to back sweeten?

Any help on this subject would be fantastic.

Thank in advance
StudentFermenter is online now Report Post

They need at least two days to clear so you will have to finish them Tuesday night so you can bottle them on Friday, as its cooler in our houses at the moment they will be no where near finished and sickly sweet and also because the yeast has not had time to clean up after itself you run the risk of the wine giving you the ****s.
If you don't already have spare DJ's buy a couple of bottles of spring water (the 5 litre bottles) drill a 9mm hole in the lid and fit airlocks, if you want a cheaper option buy some balloons or condoms (yes i have seen them used as airlocks) and put a few holes in them with a pin, split the DJ's you have into these and it should stop spillages or keep them to a minimum.

Thanks Chippy

Our house is quite warm, parents don't like the cold so the house is usually 23 degrees and maybe 20 overnight, so I don't think temperature would be an issue.
Here are some pictures of how they're both getting along. the one in the DJ was started on Friday, the water bottle was Saturday.

Thanks

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

So I've just done some readings for both and here are the numbers

Apple juice and Cranberry

Start 1.072
1st Reading 1.044

3.7%

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grape and Blueberry

Start 1.076
1st Reading 1.042

4.5%

If you stop them now you will end up with a sickly sweet drink that is low in alcohol and will more likely give you a real bad headache and probably bad guts, this is due to fermentation not finishing and the yeast has not had time to clean up after itself (see my earlier quote below)

They need at least two days to clear so you will have to finish them Tuesday night so you can bottle them on Friday, as its cooler in our houses at the moment they will be no where near finished and sickly sweet and also because the yeast has not had time to clean up after itself you run the risk of the wine giving you the ****s.

If you don't already have spare DJ's buy a couple of bottles of spring water (the 5 litre bottles) drill a 9mm hole in the lid and fit airlocks, if you want a cheaper option buy some balloons or condoms (yes i have seen them used as airlocks) and put a few holes in them with a pin, split the DJ's you have into these and it should stop spillages or keep them to a minimum.

Latest posts

Back