HERMS RIMS?????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hmm: Don't do it, Do a normal brew, using your normal method. Then take the spent grain, and put it in your HERMS setup and add some more 'mash' liquor. User the time of the boil to 'dial in' your PIDS and mash temp, pump speed etc . . . That will put you in a much better place to do your first HERMS brew. ;)

Next question.

During testing the 2 60A SSRs each switching 1 off 2.2kW elements -1. for HLT 1 for H/E performed well and did not get unduly hot. They are mounted on a heat sink. Do I need a fan?

I have a twin computer fan which I was going to utilise but there is a good likelihood that these will dowse the internals of my control panel with steam and sticky wort over time, so I am not now inclined to use them.

Any comments from those with experience of using SSRs?

Aleman said:
:hmm: Don't do it, Do a normal brew, using your normal method. Then take the spent grain, and put it in your HERMS setup and add some more 'mash' liquor. User the time of the boil to 'dial in' your PIDS and mash temp, pump speed etc . . . That will put you in a much better place to do your first HERMS brew. ;)

Point taken Aleman, I was going to do a setup run with water, but your suggestion makes more sense. :cheers: ...cheers

Oggys Bar said:
During testing the 2 60A SSRs each switching 1 off 2.2kW elements -1. for HLT 1 for H/E performed well and did not get unduly hot. They are mounted on a heat sink. Do I need a fan?

My Control system will have 2 40A SSR's mounted on a piece of 3mm thick Aluminium, on the other side I'm fitting a CPU cooler and fan . . . total overkill but fun . . . If they do not get too hot then don't worry about it.

I'm finishing the paint job on my control panel . . . I'm basing it on the design of the control panel of Disaster Areas stunt ship ;)

Point taken Aleman, I was going to do a setup run with water,

I tried it with water and got totally different results using a mash. A mash is far more thermally stable than water.

I have a 40A SSR switching each element. I have a fan drawing air into, and expelling it out of, my PID control box which contains 2 element circuits, and the SSR's are bolted to my aluminium chassis box, which acts as a heat sink.
I use 40A ssr's as they are less prone to over heating due to continual switching (manufacturers advice).

mmm, i can see me getting into this HERMS thing. There's just so much more 'gadgets' and shiny stuff than in a standard brewery. So it's obviously loads better. :lol:

MEB said:
mmm, i can see me getting into this HERMS thing. There's just so much more 'gadgets' and shiny stuff than in a standard brewery. So it's obviously loads better. :lol:

Shiny stuff and LIGHTS.. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Mines based on the design of Disaster Areas Stuntship . . . . Black. . . . With Black buttons, and when you press one a Black light turns black to let you know its doing something

Aleman said:
Mines based on the design of Disaster Areas Stuntship . . . . Black. . . . With Black buttons, and when you press one a Black light turns black to let you know its doing something

But Aleman...on pressing the black button..isn't the stuntship programmed to dive into a vessel of boiling wort...or something :lol: :shock:

Oggys Bar said:
Aleman said:

But Aleman...on pressing the black button..isn't the stuntship programmed to dive into a vessel of boiling wort...or something :lol: :shock:

But it's like . . . well it's just so . . . . . Black

For those that are not in the know, Disaster Area are a neutronium rock band from the Gagacracker mind zones of the galaxy, who are famous for being the loudest act in the galaxy . . . or in fact the loudest noise of any kind. . . . The audience watch the band from concrete bunkers 100 miles from the stage while the band play their instruments by remote control from another ship orbiting the planet . . . or more usually from a completely different planet. Their stage act ends with them crashing a stunt ship into the nearby sun . . . The stunt ship was black in honor of the recently deceased status of the lead singer. . . who was spending a year dead for tax reasons.

FrontPanel01.jpg

Thats the bits just fitted into place, I've got to tidy it all up, and wire it all inside

I'd love to put a HERMS system together - never seem to have the spare dosh to do it though :(

I could really do with getting myself a small pump though if nothing else so I can properly sanitise my CFC - I had a brew go bad in the fermenter recently and I suspect the CFC may not have been clean enough :oops:

Ahhh, no one had mentioned the use of a CFC. I forgot about that. I hate the idea of the things. What a palaver cleaning them. :nono: Especially as i normally clean nothing till the following morning. :roll: More laziness. :lol:

Ahhh, no one had mentioned the use of a CFC. I forgot about that. I hate the idea of the things. What a palaver cleaning them

Who told you that....they're lying :evil:

To clean mine I pump a solution of Saniclean through it for about 30 minutes, during the boil, turning the pump on and off for a couple of minutes each time.
Pour the Saniclean out of the bucket and add boiling water and pump to waste.
Attach to boiler tap and recirc hot wort for the last 10 minutes of the boil...done...doddle
I'm also very lazy :lol:

Latest posts

Back