Hi all.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ads

Reaction score
New to brewing. Got some demijohns from my father. First Turbo Cider is on. :)

Would like to have a go at a lager but i only have 1 gallon demijohns and all the kits i have seen are 23 litres. Don't really want to do a big batch.

Any suggestions for a simple lager for a beginner?

Cheers
Ads

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I have copied your question to beer brewing discussion as it will get more views there.

Lager requires steady fermentation in the 10-14C range. Equipment needed for that, unless you have a room in winter that stays there, or a cellar. You could make a blond ale though, with a neutral yeast and lager hops.

Lager requires steady fermentation in the 10-14C range. Equipment needed for that, unless you have a room in winter that stays there, or a cellar. You could make a blond ale though, with a neutral yeast and lager hops.

Sorry not quite up with the terminology. What's a blond ale? Sounds like it could work for me.

It's similar to a lager but uses an ale yeast rather than a lager yeast. So can ferment at room temperature. Tend to use different hops than lagers, but you can choose your hops.

You could make a gallon with 500g dried malt extract, extra light, and some brewing sugar. Safale US05 yeast, and some hops. Saaz are classic lager hops. Just boil a gallon of eater with extract and sugar stirred in and add hops at the start and near thé end. Cool and transfer to demijohn, top up to a gallon, and pitch yeast when it's down to 20C. I'll put together some quantities.

Jump straight into the deep end and go for an all grain recipe. Clibit has brought many over to the dark side, myself included and it's an easy to follow guide and suits a demi john.

Yes you could do the simple AG. Use lager malt, Saaz hops and US05 yeast.

Using malt extract would be quicker and easier but the beer wouldnt be as good. Still good, just not as good!

800g Lager Malt ~ £1 per kilo
10g Saaz boil for 60 minutes (100g costs around £4)
3g Saaz Hops, boil for 10 minutes
1 Pkt Safale US 05 (£3)

Costs £8 + delivery but you will be left with ingredients for your next brews. That will give you 8 pints of delicious Blonde Ale following Clibits guide.

You should have most of the equipment around your house although you would probably need a syphon, sanitising solution and a thermometer.

Thanks guys. Is there a link to a guide. Or is it just exactly as cilbit says in his previous post?
Many thanks for the help. :)

You could make a gallon with 500g dried malt extract, extra light, and some brewing sugar. Safale US05 yeast, and some hops. Saaz are classic lager hops. Just boil a gallon of eater with extract and sugar stirred in and add hops at the start and near thé end. Cool and transfer to demijohn, top up to a gallon, and pitch yeast when it's down to 20C. I'll put together some quantities.

Think I'm going to give this ago.
Just to clarrify I need:
500g Spray malt, light
Brewing sugar - not sure how much
Hops - again not sure how much or which ones, I have seen pellets and dried hops?
Could I use any Ale yeast?
What are the timings to add the hops etc.

Many thanks for your help.
Ads

Think I'm going to give this ago.
Just to clarify I need:
500g Spray malt, light
Brewing sugar - not sure how much
Hops - again not sure how much or which ones, I have seen pellets and dried hops?
Could I use any Ale yeast?
What are the timings to add the hops etc.

I've used Saaz as they are used in loads of lagers. But there are loads of options, depending on what beers you like. You can use pellets or whole/leaf hops.
You need a clean tasting yeast that gets the final gravity low. US05 is ideal. The final gravity is likely to get below 1009, meaning the ABV will be a bit higher.

Something like this:

Batch Size (L): 5.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.045
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.67 %
Bitterness (IBU): 34.4
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

0.500 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (83.33%)
0.100 kg Brewing Sugar(16.67%)

10.0 g Saaz Leaf (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (start of the boil)
10.0 g Saaz Leaf (3.6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (half way)
5.0 g Saaz Leaf (3.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (from the end of the boil)

Ferment at around 18°C with Safale US-05

Perfect thanks very much. I'll look at getting everything together and giving it a go.
My mates tend to like things like Becks / budwiser so If I get the Saaz hops that might work.

Worth a go anyway. :)
Many thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back