Hi everyone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome.

What the plan Davie?
Doing a few kits, or a big splash into grains? (sorry about the unintentional pun - but it sort of worked so I left it šŸ˜)

Welcome.

What the plan Davie?
Doing a few kits, or a big splash into grains? (sorry about the unintentional pun - but it sort of worked so I left it šŸ˜)
Hi mash,

Thanks for the message,

I'll be honest with you from the start, I have never brewed anything or even know anyone personally who has as yet, so it is all a bit new, so Im trying to gain a little knowledge via forums, Facebook groups and YouTube etc.

At this stage I'm still research, research, research. I will most definitely be starting with a few kits first to get started I think. As long as I can make something drinkable that would be the aim šŸ˜‚Long term I would like to keg and build a kegerator. But there are so many options out there, with different kit and set ups, whether it's better to start with just a starter kit of a couple of buckets and bottles and see where we go from there or invest that bit more starting out to make life a bit easier in the long run and get more consistent results.

Hi Davie, welcome to forum. I've only been here about 6 weeks, but folks are really helpful, so you'll be fine.

I'm on my second all grain brew. Just boiled it last night. They were really helpful in confirming steps and advice on any queries, so don't be afraid to ask any questions. Chances are folk on here have been there and done it.

Ross

Hi mash,

Thanks for the message,

I'll be honest with you from the start, I have never brewed anything or even know anyone personally who has as yet, so it is all a bit new, so Im trying to gain a little knowledge via forums, Facebook groups and YouTube etc.

At this stage I'm still research, research, research. I will most definitely be starting with a few kits first to get started I think. As long as I can make something drinkable that would be the aim šŸ˜‚Long term I would like to keg and build a kegerator. But there are so many options out there, with different kit and set ups, whether it's better to start with just a starter kit of a couple of buckets and bottles and see where we go from there or invest that bit more starting out to make life a bit easier in the long run and get more consistent results.

Good place to start. A couple of kits to get yourself going then possibly looking at recipes which include adding/steeping grains with malt extract and adding hops, dry hopping etc. You'll be onto all grain before you know it.

Yea that's the plan, I'd be starting with kits 100% and there is no way I'd be forking out for the all in one expensive grain father's etc without being experienced enough, and I wouldn't have enough money for that anyway šŸ˜‚ only thing I'm making my mind up on is whether to fork out a bit more and get a pressure fermenter and gas to start with or not or just getting the buckets with a heat belt.

Yea that's the plan, I'd be starting with kits 100% and there is no way I'd be forking out for the all in one expensive grain father's etc without being experienced enough, and I wouldn't have enough money for that anyway šŸ˜‚ only thing I'm making my mind up on is whether to fork out a bit more and get a pressure fermenter and gas to start with or not or just getting the buckets with a heat belt.
Not a terrible idea. Good fermentation conditions is the difference between beer you'll want to drink and beer you'll want to pour down the drain. No point in spending 20-25 quid on ingredients only to fall at the last hurdle on fermentation.

Buckets with a heat belt is fine but get yourself a cheap second hand fridge (if you've got space) and an Inkbird controller to keep your fermentation temperature on point.

Inkbird works well on a bucket with a sleeping bag.

Bottle it don't keg. It's easier to start with and you get to keep a few from each batch to compare. (and learn).
Scrouge bottles from the pub. For free.

Sorry did I say "Scrouge" , I meant environmentally recycle.

I really do appreciate the good advice.

Bottle it don't keg. It's easier to start with and you get to keep a few from each batch to compare. (and learn).

Sorry did I say "Scrouge" , I meant environmentally recycle

Sorry did I say "Scrouge" , I meant environmentally recycle.
I was looking at kegging but I think your right, bottling would be the best way. Would make it easy to compare when start tinkering about a bit to compare results and hopefully improvements on the journey.

Latest posts

Back