Hi everyone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I've not posted for a while (I've been here reading!) so I thought I'd just say hi and also ask some advice.

My family and I was out last year in Buxton sat in a park with a good friend of mine with his family (he's the head brewer of a micro in Manchester) enjoying the sunshine and having a few beers. He's the kind of guy who always looks like he's in deep thought and out of the blue he asked me if I'd ever brewed with pomegranate molasses.. He did a brew with it few weeks later and wow. This guy actually brewed a candyfloss flavoured beer to celebrate his daughter being born. That was a wow too! So.. we got talking about the kind of ingredients you can actually put into a beer. At this point he told me about a lemon meringue (I had to google that to see how to spell it lol) pie beer that they sold at the Buxton tap. Off we went to sample it. Since then I now try to do my beers with a twist as experimenting is all part of the fun. Some, for me work, some don't. Trust me, if you are thinking about putting Worcester sauce in a lager.. don't. My last one was an elderflower lager that was fantastic.

What I'd like to ask is advice for a recipe on an AG black forest flavoured beer. So, here's my ideal..

I'll be using the grainfather so a 22l batch.

A light bodied ale around 5 to 6% final.. (pale malt, pilsner malt?) I don't want it too bitter so at the start of the boil.. maybe one of the noble hops?? I'll lightly hop with probably Galena if I can source them at flame out. Maybe something like them? I want the hops to compliment the fruit flavours

I'm thinking about steeping the fruit (cherries, blackcurrants, raspberries etc) for a few days and adding the solution to the wort just before adding the yeast as I don't want to "dry hop"? maybe add after fermentation? Would using less grains be better due to the sugars in the fruit?

I always try to use liquid yeast so any advice on the type you'd think would work would be appreciated too!

Welcome back.

Adding anything after "fermentation is complete" will just kick-start the fermentation again so that's a no-no.

I've used Lowicz Cherry Syrup in a Wilco Cerveza (my "go-to" kit for experimentation) as a substitute for the sugar and it was a success that could have taken a lot more syrup.

Using a GF then Citra or Cascade would enhance any "citrus" type flavours that you cared to introduce and for other flavours I suggest that you trawl through this page for ideas ...

https://byo.com/resource/hops/

Enjoy.

PS

Using the Wilco Cerveza kit:
  • Cloves for a "don't use" as I am still waiting for the flavour to mellow in last year's Christmas Beer.
  • Birdseye Chillies for a "recommended" as I added six chopped Birdseye Chillies to the wort in the FV and the flavour was superb on a cold night!

Latest posts

Back