Hi new member equipped with idiotic questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjgclutch

Reaction score
I have posted on here before, after I put my yeast in the freezer and wondered why my beer went moldy when I pitched it! A mistake I won't make again at yeast.

Anyhow.

I started brewing at the start of last year, starting with the basic set up using kits. Starting with the coopers English bitter which came as part of the starter pack. Extremely average 2.5% fizzy water. I then tried St Peter's stout kit, as recommended by my local supplier. This turned out to be my first decent beer. Not quite right, but perfectly drinkable, and at 3.5% (I think). At this point I was already considering full grain, but decided to make an US IPA, which allowed me to dry hop, giving a bit of introductory extra control. Again, this was as perfectly decent beer, and went down v well with my house mates. I still wasn't satisfied, so the decision to upgrade to full grain was an easy one (no interest in trying extract).

I bought the most basic kit possible, consisting of Mash turn, digital boiler and copper cooling coil. Again, to keep things simple, I bought some made up repica full grain packages (Landlord, Thornbridge Oatmeal Stout and Kernel DIPA (citra). The first two made excellent beer, despite me winging it when it comes to water chemistry, and DIPA was the aforementioned moldy beer (not so nice).

That was 6 months ago, and I haven't brewed since. My alcoholic flat mate kept nicking it, which became annoying. He couldn't remember doing it, so can't exactly have a go at him!

I've moved house now, and I have a garage (soon to be renamed as the brewery) so it is time to crank up and take things more seriously!!

I'll be seeking advice later on where to spend my hard earned cash later, but in the meantime I'm going to make 3 or 4 brews using the trusty old kit.

2 stupid questions first though, typical new boy questions.

1. My boiler doesn't poor very well when I add hops, as they clog up. I siphon most of it easily enough, but a lot of liquid gets left behind, which means I have to poor through a sieve, which makes a right mess. What can I do to avoid this? Is it just a case of using a hop bag. I have the bags, just worried the flavour won't be the same.

2. My copper cooler doesn't attach itself to taps. The kit /adapter it comes with I don't quite get. I have bough an adapter of sorts, but I'm struggling to make it work, which means I have to hold the tube over the tap, and get wet in the process! Is there anything I can do to rectify that.

Apologies for idiotic questions!

alcoholic flatmate nicking your homebrew certainly sounds more than annoying!!
Glad to hear you are out of that situation!

to answer your questions:
1) you can boil hops in a hop bag - I have done this and not had any problems with flavours. There are a couple of other options though - would it be possible to fit your boiler with a filter on the inside of the tap? I have had success with a bazooka filter which is essentially a hollow mesh tube that screws into the tap on the inside of the boiler
I have also used a boiler that has a false floor which then separates the hops from the bottom 3 inches of the boiler - keeping your tap free of hop debris - is it possible to retrofit one of these to your boiler (could well be easier than a bazooka filter?)

2) do you have pictures of your cooler tap attachments that you can upload here? would help in understanding the problem... but I'm assuming you are using your kitchen tap to try and attach to? if yes, would it be possible to attach to an outdoor tap with a standard hosepipe adaptor?

I'm sure others will be able to suggest more resourceful ways around your problems - an ingenious bunch these homebrewers! :electric:

Thanks for the reply.

I'll sort photos. Outside tap may do the job to be honest. It was late last night when I was using it, so got a bit frustrated! False floor idea sounds good, I'll investigate.

Though if I end up buying new kit I will prob use it as a HLT only, anyway.

Hi. I have managed to locate suitable adapters for the hose, so that problem is taken care of.

Re buying a false bottom. How much do these cost, and are they easy to install? If using a bag works just as well, then for the sake of a few pence a bag it may be worth using bags. Especially if I am going to upgrade my kit reasonably soon.

It says you cannot reuse bags? Is that true? Also, daft question, but do you use 3 bags for different stages, or is it just a case of spooning out the bag, undoing the knot and adding the late hops?

On the subject of new kit. I have a dedicated brew garage now :-). So I really want to start investing in gear. Would it be advisable to upgrade immediately, or in the short term (money is relatively tight) is it worth getting my fridges bought and temp control set up to allow proper control of conditions during fermentation and beyond? Plus, buying a decent pH meter so I can start properly looking into water chemistry?

The kit I have below is in the link below. It is the top one, Special bulk buy price! Digital Boiler, Insulated Mash Tun and Copper Cooling Coil

http://www.thebrewshop.com/contents/en-uk/d75.html

Many thanks

I think you can reuse muslin bags.. you do need to wash them out and they are a mess to wash and dry out but yes you can reuse them.

I don't use them though in the boil anymore, I know many will contest this but I just found the hops not quite as strong with them as if the bag restricted them somewhat.. It is possibly not right that and my experience as a brewer has improved since I made that change so.

What boiler do you have by the way?

This is the false bottome for a Peco boiler, check your boiler size etc before ordering:
http://www.geterbrewed.com/stainless-steel-false-bottom-for-peco-boiler/

Oh, and if your current brewking kit does its job and works I would invest in brew fridges/temp control ahead of shiney new boiler etc. Fermenting at a constant and appropriate temperature ensures good beer. you could also look at brewing 'proper' lager if you can brew at 12-13°C in a fridge.

Yeah, I think I agree with that. The big plus at the moment would be to brew in larger quantities, but I'm not at that stage yet. I'll be posting later to get some advice on fridges etc, but I see plenty of historic threads on that, which may prevent me from electrocuting myself when attempting anything involving wires!

Welcome aboard, and as has been said before, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

My boiler is 32 litres Peco boiler, so that looks perfect. See link above

Don't know how this fits? Is it self explanatory and idiot proof? Presumably it just sits above the tap, or is connected to it and acts as a filer to separate hop and wort.

ta

My boiler is 32 litres Peco boiler, so that looks perfect. See link above

Don't know how this fits? Is it self explanatory and idiot proof? Presumably it just sits above the tap, or is connected to it and acts as a filer to separate hop and wort.

ta

I have one of these with a Peco boiler (the digital version). I only remembered to use it one time so far but it did the job well enough. It doesn't fit very well as the tap & boiling element are in the way so it sits at an angle. The boil under it threatens to dislodge it but it stayed in place that time, I suspect this won't always be the case.

I think that one I linked to above just sits above the tap, seems to have a central piece which would support it at a given height off the bottom of the boiler - not 100% sure though. Maybe worth checking with the seller. Even if it can connect to the tap, personnally I woold just pop it (not conected to the tap) and give it a go, it should collect most of the hop debris and ensure the tap remains unblocked I would have thought.

Edit: just noticed HebridesRob's post above - looks like he has used this one so has some experience with it.

Worth a go for £10 quid. I feel reluctant to do anything in bags if I can avoid it. Don't know why, but it feels more authentic to me!

Worth a go for £10 quid. I feel reluctant to do anything in bags if I can avoid it. Don't know why, but it feels more authentic to me!
Just a quick thought, I assume you are using whole leaf hops ratther than pellets in the boil ?

Yeah. Leaf.

I need to start looking into buying fridges or freezers. For now, I'll just use to store bottles, with the obvious idea of turning into a fermenting fridge, once I buy the relevant equipment. Where is the best place for me to buy them. My local charity shop has some for circa £100 which look ideal, but I hear that I can pick them up much cheaper than that. in which case where is best to look? I like in Manchester. It would have to be someone local so I can make sure my fermenting vessels fit in nicely. Sounds like a freezer chest would be ideal, but I assume they are hard to get hold of.

And so your journey begins :thumb:

I've learned ever so much here. 6 months ago I was frightened of a canned kit from wilkinsons turning to vinegar! Now I do all grain. Better than any commercial brew by far and easier than you think. I now know why it would have turned to vinegar!

I'm not sure if I've earned my stripes enough to say this yet but hey ho! Welcome :)

I think that one I linked to above just sits above the tap, seems to have a central piece which would support it at a given height off the bottom of the boiler - not 100% sure though. Maybe worth checking with the seller. Even if it can connect to the tap, personnally I woold just pop it (not conected to the tap) and give it a go, it should collect most of the hop debris and ensure the tap remains unblocked I would have thought.

Edit: just noticed HebridesRob's post above - looks like he has used this one so has some experience with it.

The foldy-out bit goes at the top, it's a handle to lift it out. The element & tap are at different heights, it sits above both so fits at an angle. As I say, it worked well enough the one time I've remembered to use it.

I think it's worth having, just not totally confident of it working well every time.

As far as hop leaf is concerned, I'm with you. I buy the hops I want but only buy pellets if leaf is unavailable. I think the hops help with boil mechanics, which helps the hot break. I also think they help filter the wort into the fermenter.

I need to start looking into buying fridges or freezers. For now, I'll just use to store bottles, with the obvious idea of turning into a fermenting fridge, once I buy the relevant equipment. Where is the best place for me to buy them. My local charity shop has some for circa £100 which look ideal, but I hear that I can pick them up much cheaper than that. in which case where is best to look? I like in Manchester. It would have to be someone local so I can make sure my fermenting vessels fit in nicely. Sounds like a freezer chest would be ideal, but I assume they are hard to get hold of.

Ebay/Freecycle/local facebook groups are ideal to find a fridge.

I have an undercounter fridge that I paid £10 (facebook) for and a larder fridge that I go for £15 (ebay).

You can also use bags for hops, but to counter the less efficient utilisation it may be wise to add about 5-10% more hops than the recipe calls for.

Ok. Yeah, I noticed most were either fridge/freezers and under the counter fridges. I assumed it would be better to buy a tall fridge, or is it ok to have a fridge/freezer combo? Or is it better to have several under the counter fridges?

ta

Latest posts

Back