Hobby Horse Brewery Evolution

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjbiker

Regular.
Reaction score
Me and a mate started (me really) making our kit about a year ago (Jan 09) and its evolved into a 10-11 gal brewery. I nicked most ideas from posts on here so thought I'd finally put some stuff on here now I've registered with photobucket. Will take a few edits so bear with me. I'll keep adding pictures and stuff to this as the brewery evolves further.

Basic 5 gal setup. 2 fermenting bins with taps. one as HLT, one as mash tun, electrim boiler.
IMG_6006.jpg

Inside the mash tun with very basic sparge arm, does the job. the green plate is to stop the sparge water disturbing the grain bed. The copper manifold, this picture was work in progress. The finished item has hack saw cuts about every 5mm halfway through the copper pipe on the underside. This attaches to the tap. This could really do with a false bottom to prevent stuck mashes but havn't made one yet. Usually works if the grain is stirred properly at the start of the mash.
IMG_6019.jpg
IMG_6088.jpg

IMG_6090.jpg

Not getting the hang of this image re-sizing sorry.
Collecting wort in the electrim boiler with home made hop strainer fitted. This was made of some soldered 15mm copper pipe and a section cut from a 'splatter guard' mesh from IKEA. The new boiler uses just a similar manifold to the mash tun instead. see other pictures. The new boiler is made from a 70L stock pot, available offof ebay France for about £50 inc. delivery. Kettle elements from cheapo ASDA kettles £4, I've disabled the safety cut outs to stop them switching off mid boil. The rule is, don't even plug in until theres water in the boiler. The leads were also from ebay, they may be computer leads and yes they do get warm but havn't got too hot and melted [edit, they're not computer leads and are rated 10A]. The tap is from 15mm tank connector and ball valves offof B&Q. Cutting the holes for the elements is the hard part. My dad managed it using a trephining? tool (home made), and a steel cutting blade in a jig saw, but you really need very hard hole cutting saws
IMG_6022.jpg
dec09002.jpg
dec09003.jpg
dec09001.jpg

Heres the boiler in the purpose built shed/gym/brewery. I mounted a drill pump on the shelf between boiler and mash Tun but it leaked like a bit** so threw it away and use a small bucket instead. The green thing is an earlier generation of my counterflow cooler, it needed to be longer so I made a new one using 10m of 10mm microbore pipe, its not very neat but works well if a little slow. takes about an hour for 50litres to run through by gravity. Will get a pump eventually but they're expensive. On the lookout for a broken washing machine to salvage a pump? underneath the boiler I've insulated a space for 2x 25L FV's on little trolleys. I use an electric fan heater with a thermostat to maintain 20degrees. It gets too warm in the summer, not much I can do about it (at the moment).
IMG_6727.jpg

, and the timer switch I use to heat the liquor so its ready when I get up on brew days. Here's the mash tun wrapped up in sleeping bag, loses less than a degree (from the middle of the grain) in 90mins when doing a 10gal brew (holds about 11kg grain and 24L of water max)
dec09004.jpg
IMG_7847.jpg

Sparging, I use the FV as a HLT, now I'm doing 10gal brews I use 2 of them side by side, connected with a bit of syphon tube as I need more than 25L. Will probably get another 70L stainless stock pot and make a proper heated HLT eventually. The blue thing is a mushroom container with holes poked in it. I don't use it now as for 10gal brews the grain comes almost to the top of the Mash tun. At the tap end of the mash tun I have an air-lock which allows me to collect the last runnings by syphoning (because the outlet is not right on the bottom of the tun like on a proper one). I run this through a cone of 'splatter' guard mesh to filter out the grain bits (underback). The little grey bucket is 5L and just the right size to pour into the boiler when its full.

IMG_7848.jpg
IMG_7849.jpg
IMG_7850.jpg

The boiler in action, this was a test run with only 5 gallons, it comes about 2inches from the top with 64litres in it, any more and it spills over onto the electrics. I use both elements to bring up to temperature (2.2Kw each) but it boils quite happily with just the one. Dark Green coil = A later incarnation of the counterflow cooler, and (light Green) the earlier one being used before the brewery was built. The early fermenting chamber, can't remember why there was only half an FV full. I used an insulated (with polystyrene) cardboard box with the fan heater in it as I didn't have a conveniently placed cupboard. This is now replaced with the insulated space underneath the boiler and mash tun in the brewery shed.
IMG_7853.jpg
dec09006.jpg
IMG_6042.jpg
IMG_6074.jpg

The Finished article.
IMG_6802.jpg

Edit for brew #26 May2010, addition of a pump from solar-project.co.uk
1 = Set up showing outlet connected to counterflow cooler, reduces time to collect wort in fermenter from over and hour to 28minutes (55.5L). Efficiency of cooler checked this time. wort at 65 degC leaves cooler at 21 degC and 0.5L/min. Cooling water at 15 degC leaves cooler at 40 degC and 2L/min
2 = Filling HLT from boiler, ready for sparging
3&4 = Recirculating wort through grain in mash tun prior to collection and sparging
5 = collecting the wort in the boiler, outlet regulated using a 15mm ball valve restricting flow to around 900ml/min. I don't yet have a resistor controlling voltage to the pump so using a knackered 12V motorcycle battery thats has a damaged cell, voltage is reduced therefore less strain on the pump working agains the restricted flow. I've fitted a switch to the pump (photos show work in progress).

pump4Apr10.jpg
pump3Apr10.jpg
fd89df48.jpg

efe84cb1.jpg
091a30a8.jpg

Edit 21Jul10
Not really 'brewing' but I've got a beer engine cheap off ebay and in the process of refurbishing it. It leaks a bit, needs a new o-ring on the piston rod and a John Guest swivel elbow on top of the piston.
81aab003.jpg
cd14c8e2.jpg

cdddb062.jpg

Edit 6Jan11
Hand pump fitted in the Kithen and connected to a King Keg for New Years eve party.
2a0a156b.jpg
05c08b97.jpg

The Brewery is going fully stainless steel. Just waiting for Q-Max Cutters to put holes in vessels. I'm converting all vessels to bottom drains to help with air-locks and priming of pump. More Photos when it is finished.
1c4a5e3e.jpg

Nice set up pjbiker.
I'd love an area I could set up permanently for brews. I do mine in the kitchen and have to store everything in the attic when finished. I'm up and down those steps like a bleedin' yo-yo.

Looks pretty organised to me, certainly a lot better than my present set up :lol:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2651/4019337293_cc7711dfb2.jpg
Fortunately my new brewery is due for commissioning this week and not before time ;)
The bit of kit that I have not made yet is a counterflow cooler, will use my IC until I get one sorted, but wondered what yours perform like and what length / size they are. Was the first one not up to the job ?
S

Springer said:
Fortunately my new brewery is due for commissioning this week and not before time
The bit of kit that I have not made yet is a counterflow cooler, will use my IC until I get one sorted, but wondered what yours perform like and what length / size they are. Was the first one not up to the job ?

The first generation was probably about 6m of 10mm diameter copper microbore. The reason was, that was how much hose I managed to force onto the microbore before it got stuck. This was using some old hose which I didn't pre-heat with hot water first. Lesson learned there. It was Ok if a little leaky at the high pressure end but when the cooling water wasn't that cold, ie. summer it was only just up to it, so I got another 10metres of microbore, new hose and started again. The 10m incarnation, if anything is too efficient, I have to run the cooling water really slowly, and adjust to prevent over cooling. Perhaps if I run the wort using a pump rather than just by gravity this will be easier.
In summer months, as I didn't permanently plumb my brewery shed, the cooling water runs about 20m up my lawn first in a garden hose which warms it up a bit so the cooler is less effective. I may post some photos of the plumbing later.
It seems many people use immersion chillers and get good results, in fact, a downside of the cc chiller is, although the wort in it is cooled pretty much instantly, unless the wort is recycled through the boiler and hops, the break material ends up in your FV. I'm going to test out recirculating the cooled wort back through the boiler, and, if you're going to do that, maybe using an immersion chiller would have the same result? Discuss.... (theres a discussion here) http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30002&p=327082&hilit=chiller#p327082

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Nice set-up What recipe did you choose to brew?
The last one I attempted was this, currently conditioning. It is the 20th all grain brew. I have tried a variety of recipes One of the best ones was an adaptation of a 'London Pride' recipe I found on here somewhere that uses pale malt, crystal and flaked maize. I did quite a good stout at Christmas too.
I use 'Pete's YoBrew' spreadsheet to calculate recipes and hops. I think that originally came from the 'Jim's Beer Kit' forum. To calculate ABV i use the formula from the home office's website which is a little different to the 'YoBrew' one.
Yeast, I usually use some from a friendly micro-brewer and save it in jars in the fridge to re-pitch. That went 'Pete Tong' before Christmas 09, so I've had to ditch it and use a packet now. Have had some success culturing up from 'real ale in a bottle' too, notably Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I'm happy to share notes with anyone that's interested :D

HOBBY HORSE BREWERY
Brew #23
‘Thoroughbred Bitter’
Original/Final Gravity 1.040/1.009
ABV: 4.1%
Grain: Pale Malt (94%), Crystal (6%)
Hops: Northern Brewer 10.9% AA, 90m, 33.3 EBU,
WGV 6.3% AA, 15min, 5.9 EBU
WGV 6.3% AA, 0min, 50g
Bitterness: 39.2 EBU
Final Brewlength: 55.5L
Yeast : Nottingham

Springer said:
Looks pretty organised to me, certainly a lot better than my present set up :lol:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2651/4019337293_cc7711dfb2.jpg
Fortunately my new brewery is due for commissioning this week and not before time ;)
S

I can see the makings of an 'expanded brewlength' in the backround there! Re: cc chiller size, as I said, 10m of 10mm dia microbore from B&Q, it's in coils of about 14 inches, determined mainly by the diameter of the bucket I bent it around (you must get a spring microbore pipe bender from B&Q or risk kinking it). Coils are about 4 inches in height with the hose on and cable tied together. People have made far neater coolers I've seen on here but I'm happy with mine. I had to solder a 10mm-15mm connector to the end and attach to the boiler with a bit of rubber hose. There used to be a 'how to' on making one with pictures but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks for the info and link Pb.
My new brewery has a 20 gal capacity, but don't plan on running foot to the floor very often :lol: . Present IC has quite a bit of copper and takes maybe 20 to 30 mins for 25 litres, which is ok because its working during cleaning up time. Larger brews mean a CC or a good bit more copper.
So now I have the info its decision time again. :?
S

just a quick thought about the temp prob with your cooling water in the summer

If you get a spare hose and dig a 6 inch deep slit trench you could bury the hose under the lawn and it would stay cool all year round and be taken back up easily when needed

Growler said:
just a quick thought about the temp prob with your cooling water in the summer

If you get a spare hose and dig a 6 inch deep slit trench you could bury the hose under the lawn and it would stay cool all year round and be taken back up easily when needed

Thanks, I did think of that, but TBH it's not that much of a hassle, I just slowed down the wort flow yesterday and it was still adequate. Don't fancy ruining the garden lawn :D

Edit 10Jan11
Evolution Phase IV, stainless steel HLT and Mash Tun. Bottom drains rather than side drains, steel braid hop stoppers and mash tun strainers, Drain valve to (hopefully) aid clean out of vessels 'in situ'
All pictures are clickable thumbnails.

1. Cutting, 20mm hole in bottom of boiler with 'Q-Max' Cutter.

2. bottom drain plumbed on 70L boiler.

3. similarly, drain from mash tun to sparger with small ball valve control.

4. 12V pump rigged up with flexible tap connectors. Mash tun plumbed in with ball valve, visible on right.

5. mash tun outer skin cut with angle grinder, jig saw and q-max cutter to fit tank connector and tap fitting

6. Tank connector fitted

7. Inside of boiler (braided drainer not fitted)

8. Had to cut this part from the kettle to act as a washer to make the element seat in the HLT without leaking.

9. HLT element fitted with a shroud made from sealant tube and the bulb pushed through a 4mm hole. Nice. Thanks to 'how to' guides.

10. Full system as it is now. Note, plastic at top left is an old 5 gallon electrim boiler just there for storage. Mash tun is slightly larger than the plastic fermenter I was using before but only by about 4L. Really could have gone for the larger one but it should be sufficient for 10gallon brews of up to about 5.5% ABV. Looking forward to brewing something next wekend. Main improvements are separate HLT which I can maintain temperature of sparge water and bottom drains mean lower deadspace volumes, less air locks and better operation of 12V pump. Remains to be seen whether cleaning 'in situ' will work out. Forgot to photo braided strainers. Made from steel braided tap connectors with the rubber cores stripped out then attached to 15mm t-pieces in a circle with hose connectors. Pushed into brass tank connectors drilled out to 15mm.

braided flexible hose

a3047a3e.jpg

Back