Homebrew Virgin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam Galt

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

My names Liam and I’m a long time beer admirer and first time Home brewer.

Spend a bit of time in London visiting friends and am a big fan of Mother Kelly’s in Bethnal Green sampling some of the delights they have on offer.

Big fan of Tørst, Tiny Rebel (more bellow ) and Mikkeller. I would say my favourite beer that I’ve tried would be Semi-Skimmed Occulist by BrewDog. (If anyone has any that needs drinking HMU )

Am a fan of traveling and visiting breweries along the way. Favourite experience was drinking the last pint of Tørst’s “Mr Blue” in Latvia and spending an afternoon in Brooklyn Breweries bar in New York with some friends getting a little bit too merry.

I’m 28, from Preston in Lancashire and i’m a railway engineer.

Been looking for a new hobby for a while and the thought of being able to drink my hobby was enough for me to head to my local homebrew shop and grab a starter kit.

Being conscious that I don’t want to run before I can walk, I decided to do a kit first. Spotted Tiny Rebels “Cwtch” on the shelf and instantly grabbed it with both hands after being a big fan of their Clwb Tropicana.

Anyway, long story short my beer has been in the FV for 24hrs now and is doing exactly what it should be...... I think.

It’s nice to meet you all and hopefully learning loads in the forum.

Cheers

Welcome.

Mother Kelly's is a good place to go! Not been there for a few years but definitely some good drinking sessions to be had.

Take your time with the kit and don't be too eager to get it bottled or in the pressure barrel. You won't harm your beer by doing things weeks later than the kit instructions suggest but will easily bugger things up by being too hasty. 2-3 weeks in the fermenter would be a good rule of thumb, even if it looks like things have finished.

Brewdog have published all their recipes online so once you get the bug properly and pluck up the courage to go all grain (not as hard as it sounds), you'll be able to make your own version.

Welcome.

Mother Kelly's is a good place to go! Not been there for a few years but definitely some good drinking sessions to be had.

Take your time with the kit and don't be too eager to get it bottled or in the pressure barrel. You won't harm your beer by doing things weeks later than the kit instructions suggest but will easily bugger things up by being too hasty. 2-3 weeks in the fermenter would be a good rule of thumb, even if it looks like things have finished.

Brewdog have published all their recipes online so once you get the bug properly and pluck up the courage to go all grain (not as hard as it sounds), you'll be able to make your own version.

Thanks for the tip. I can imagine it being difficult to hold back the excitement with my first one but I’ll take your word for it!

I saw that Brewdog have published their recipes! Something for the near future hopefully

Welcome aboard Liam, follow the 2+2+2 rule (2 weeks ferment, 2 weeks conditioning in the house,2 weeks conditioning in the shed) and you'll be quaffing your first with your second, conditioning and your third bubbling away before you know it.

There's a term used on here called critical mass and I can't remember who coined the phrase for the life of me. For when you've brewed so much beer it takes 4 months to get round to drinking what you've bottled/kegged so you catch every brew at its very best......Nirvana.

Thanks for the tip. I can imagine it being difficult to hold back the excitement with my first one but I’ll take your word for it!

And the excitement stays, that's the fun bit. I have a Leftover Pale Ale in the shed that I really want to taste, but.... patience. Always have brew ready, try not to having to fall back onto Tesco Lager.

I saw that Brewdog have published their recipes! Something for the near future hopefully

Yup, a lot of them, but maybe interesting after five more brews. Do you already have some books on brewing?

Yup, a lot of them, but maybe interesting after five more brews. Do you already have some books on brewing?

Thanks for the advise. I think it’s quite transparent for them to disclose their “secrets”! I’ve done most of my reading online so far. Is there a good read I’m missing out on?

Hi Liam.

There's a new edition of the CAMRA homebrewing book being released soon. This may seem an odd suggestion given you drink at Mother Kelly's, but the new edition has recipes from Craft Breweries and the guide to All Grain brewing in Graham Wheeler original is probably the most sensible and concise of all brewing books.

There's a list of the recipes in this link.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/index.php?posts/756746

Incidentally are there any good craft brewing bars and pubs in Preston? I was a student there 20 years ago and keep threatening to pay the place a visit.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Hi Liam.

There's a new edition of the CAMRA homebrewing book being released soon. This may seem an odd suggestion given you drink at Mother Kelly's, but the new edition has recipes from Craft Breweries and the guide to All Grain brewing in Graham Wheeler original is probably the most sensible and concise of all brewing books.

There's a list of the recipes in this link.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/index.php?posts/756746

Incidentally are there any good craft brewing bars and pubs in Preston? I was a student there 20 years ago and keep threatening to pay the place a visit.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I think I’ll order Graham Wheeler’s for when it’s time for going All Grain.

To be honest, I think Preston is crying out for a tap room/bottle shop (would love to own one. Maybe one day eh) There’s a couple of half decent pubs around but Preston doesn’t seem to have the same drinking culture as some other big cities. You can sniff out a beer festival if you put some effort in.

Be careful with the DOC online version as there is quite a few blunders in the recipes though not them as it seems to me to be quite a clever marketing strategy to buy the book.
I downloaded it a while back when it was released and came across a few sites stating about hop quantities,boil times etc but will be sure to do a thorough investigation as my brother did send me the book as a birthday present and told me he quite liked their hoppy beers.

But no and welcome to the welcome so just relax and don't get too wound up as it's only a hobby.....for now[emoji106]
Thanks for the advise. I think it’s quite transparent for them to disclose their “secrets”! I’ve done most of my reading online so far. Is there a good read I’m missing out on?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back