Hook Norton Brewery Ingredients List

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimp2003

Reaction score
Hi guys.

It was my 40th birthday last week and my wife, who hates beer, organised for us to have a weekend staying in Witney and do the brewery tours at Hook Norton and Wychwood brewery while we were up there - How's that for true love? :D

Anyway, I took a snap of the list of ingredients for some of their beers that they had up on the wall. They made no secret of the list but would not discuss quants.

Thought I would post it here as it might help someone down the line..

Hooky2.jpg

Hooky1.jpg

Other pertinent info that I was able to glean was:

Up until 2005 they cooled the hot wort in the open coolship in the ventilated space at the top of the brewery. They now use a big old plate chiller.

They use fermenters that are totally open (you do not get to see these on the tour but you see a video of that stage).

The bottle conditioned beers do not contain the brewery strain of yeast. It is pasteurised before shipping to a bottling contractor who use a different strain.

They use two different coppers. An old one that loses 8% to evaporation during the boil. A new one that only loses 2% in the boil apparently. Unfortunately the guide was not a brewer himself and was not able to answer my questions about boiling off DMS precursors etc..

Hope the above is of use to someone out there. I would recommend the tour to anyone. The tasting session at the end was very generous with 1/3 pint samples of all cask ales except the Copper Ale which was bottled (in all 7 beers were tried).

The Wychwood tour was less impressive as the guide seemed less knowledgeable and made several incorrect statements. I finally had to pull him up when he said that Hobgoblin was brewed with 80% chocolate malt and insisted that you use 100% black malt to make stouts.. :roll:

The samples at Wychwood were also in stingy 7cl plastic thimbles and were all poured from bottles..

Interesting reading. Anyone know what "Enzymic" malt is, and what it's for ? There should be more than enough enzymes in the pale malt, unless they're using huge amounts of unmalted grain as well.

It is enzymatic or aciduated malt.

It lowers the pH in your mash (slightly more acidic) which improves the extraction efficiency I think.

Back