St Austell Brewery Ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumeister

Regular.
Reaction score
I just got back from the St Austell brewery today and spent a bit of time taking pictures of the section which showed the ingredients of a few of their beers. So I could potentially try and brew up something similar.

They clearly used Simpson malt as there was bags of it everywhere. Hops from Charles Faram. Not sure what beer has Aurora but there were a lot of boxes of that. From what I could gather, the yeast in the ale bottles is just for conditioning, not the brewing yeast. All filtered extensively. Cask ales use isinglass. Experimental beers in fermentation were a west coast kveik, a rye beer, a gose brewed using salt water.

BIG JOB:

Maris Otter
Cornish Gold Malt
Cara Malt

Centennial
Citra
Cascade
Nugget

Brut yeast

TRIBUTE:

Maris Otter
Cornish Gold Malt

Fuggle
Willamette
Celeia

PROPER JOB:

Maris Otter

Willamette
Chinook
Cascade

Last edited:
update:

I contacted the head of production at St Austell and they confirmed that the yeast in the bottle is the same yeast used for fermentation, it is their own house yeast. He confirmed it is possible to grow the yeast from the bottle, and suggested using bottles of Proper Job (although I mentioned trying to brew Tribute). Perhaps Proper Job has more yeast added as it’s more carbonated. Anyway, you were spot on @An Ankoù, I will be giving this a try. Also may be of interest to @Little Rock Brewing @DocAnna @Clint

Latest posts

Back