Hop combinations with Mandarin Bavaria

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpse

Reaction score
I got some Mandarin Bavaria hops and i'm looking for suggestions on beer styles and hop combinations.

From what I have found so far the recommendations seams to be in combinations with Citra/Mosaic or to use as single hop for Pale Ale or Lager.

IMO I would be careful using it with Citra or Mosaic as they are quite powerful hops and Mandarina is more subtle so it would get overpowered with them.
It would be good in a wheat beer on its own

IMO I would be careful using it with Citra or Mosaic as they are quite powerful hops and Mandarina is more subtle so it would get overpowered with them.
It would be good in a wheat beer on its own
Thats good input, so perhaps a single hop pale ale would be a good first beer to try. I got 500g so i can afford to experiment a little. i read that some of the flavours would benefit from a dry hop addition.

The best way IMO to start is with do a SMASH beer that is a single hop with a single malt so it will will give you a idea of what that single hop really tastes like before you start blending which is inevitable but you will know what each hop brings to the table for your taste

I used it alongside Amarillo in a blonde ale (it was a hit if a user-upper from freebie hops and was 66% Amarillo, 33% mandarina). The hops didn’t come through as much as I’d hoped but they complemented each other quite well.

I did a single hop beer with mandarina Bavaria.

6.4kg extra pale malt
45g @ 60 minutes
30g @ 20 mins
50g whirlpool
58IBU and 6.5% ABV

The beer came out nice but the hop flavour from these are very subtle, if you like the fruity hop punch I’d definitely pair it with something else.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and combinations. That gives me a starting point for testing a few hop combos.

I did a single hop beer with mandarina Bavaria.

6.4kg extra pale malt
45g @ 60 minutes
30g @ 20 mins
50g whirlpool
58IBU and 6.5% ABV

The beer came out nice but the hop flavour from these are very subtle, if you like the fruity hop punch I’d definitely pair it with something else.
I’d like to have some more fruity punch so it sounds like i need to test a few combos. I got them for free since my homebrew shop sent me the wrong hops and didnt want them back, so i have 500g….

Just dry hopped a hoppy Belgian pale with Mandarina , Lemondrop and a small amount of Talus using Belgian Wit yeast used at low end of suggested range. Think the lower strength US hops with citrus/floral profile or modern European hops will go well.
Previously did a white IPa with Talus & Mandarina that I really enjoyed.

I keep meaning to try this recipe with MB, I'd just match the IBU.

Works beautifully with Hull Melon. I want to try it with Lemondrop too.

Attachments

• Brohemian Pilsner.png
    Brohemian Pilsner.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 78
I use it in a PA/IPA with Simcoe and Mosaic, recipe was originally Cascade but works with MB and Huell Melon as they're similar

19L batch:

3.5kg pale Maris Otter or similar
250g light crystal
150g torrified wheat
90 BIAB mash@66C

60min minimum boil
25g MB, 25 Simcoe @30min
10g MB, 10g Simcoe @15min
20g MB, 20g Simcoe, 15g Mosaic @0min

Safale S-05

OG 1045, FG 1010

I find it hoppy enough without a dry hop.

I got some Mandarin Bavaria hops and i'm looking for suggestions on beer styles and hop combinations.

From what I have found so far the recommendations seams to be in combinations with Citra/Mosaic or to use as single hop for Pale Ale or Lager.

I put them in my Vienna Lager and it was amazing (when it was fresh lol)

I put them in the whirlpool along with a few in the late boil, and bittered with magnum.

I want to love MB and I keep buying it and using it in a variety of brews and nearly always been Dissapointed.
If you are expecting a tin of Mandarin oranges exploding out of your beer, think again.

It's subtle, very subtle. Add it to something with a dominant yeast, or strong hop, or flavoursome malt - its gone.

I think I will try this hop again, but in a really light wheat beer with a very neutral yeast and maybe some saaz. Might give it a fighting chance of being tasty.

Made a wheat beer with mandarin and Amarillo 2 to 1 and put some orange zest in last ten minutes of boil turned out amazing 👍🍻

Latest posts

Back