Hop Monster American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to make an all Cascade pale ale that nestles in the crossover of an American IPA as well (>5.5% ABV and 40-45 IBUs). This is what I did for my ~19.9L batch:

3.63 kg of pale ale malt
340 g of crystal 40
227 g of flaked barley
113 g of light DME (starter)
14 g Cascade (6.8%) @ 70 mins
50 g Cascade @ 21/7 mins
57 g Cascade for 49 min whirlpool/7 day dry hop
US-05

1.050/1.010
5.3% ABV
48 IBUs
7 SRM

I mashed at 67.2* C, whirlpooled at 79.4* C, and am fermenting at 19.4* C for 7 days followed by 2 weeks at room temp (22.8* C).

I was short of my OG a touch so I added 28 g of cane sugar. My ABV is targeted to be 5.3% knowing my priming sugar will boost it to 5.5%.

I'm really looking forward to this beer as it's quite similar to Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, which is iconic. From the many recipes I looked at they used slightly more crystal malt but nowhere near as much Cascade (and different bittering hops). I bought a 227 g pack of these hops for this.

I would say for that size batch you could up the late /dry hops further, but that's just my tastes.

For my hoppier beers, like my amarillo/eldorado typically use about 40g dry hop for a 10-12L batch. I quite like aggressive, almost raw hop profiles though, as well as smooth relaxed hoppyness.

I wanted to make an all Cascade pale ale that nestles in the crossover of an American IPA as well (>5.5% ABV and 40-45 IBUs). This is what I did for my ~19.9L batch:

3.63 kg of pale ale malt
340 g of crystal 40
227 g of flaked barley
113 g of light DME (starter)
14 g Cascade (6.8%) @ 70 mins
50 g Cascade @ 21/7 mins
57 g Cascade for 49 min whirlpool/7 day dry hop
US-05

1.050/1.010
5.3% ABV
48 IBUs
7 SRM

I mashed at 67.2* C, whirlpooled at 79.4* C, and am fermenting at 19.4* C for 7 days followed by 2 weeks at room temp (22.8* C).

I was short of my OG a touch so I added 28 g of cane sugar. My ABV is targeted to be 5.3% knowing my priming sugar will boost it to 5.5%.

I'm really looking forward to this beer as it's quite similar to Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, which is iconic. From the many recipes I looked at they used slightly more crystal malt but nowhere near as much Cascade (and different bittering hops). I bought a 227 g pack of these hops for this.

I probably should have added to my above post that it looks like a great beer! I know it's a bit ubiquitous now, but I do love cascade.

I'm excited to see how it turns out. Using about 4 times the hops as the beer I'm wanting to somewhat emulate tells me it ought to be awesome! Time shall tell, but that won't be for another 6 weeks...

I normally go 2-5g/L for a mid-hoppy APA, and bump that up to 5-10g/L for a real pungent IPA style aroma. On par with the brewdog rates really.

Depends how many excess hops I have in the freezer :smile:

I know, but I thought we'd already agreed that their book is largely balderdash and piffle?

It's certainly an expensive way to make beer. But yeah, that much hops is definitely a good thing.

It's certainly an expensive way to make beer. But yeah, that much hops is definitely a good thing.

I'm actually building up my tolerance to those really hoppy beers... or more specifically, the really grapefruity ones. I don't want to limit my scope by excluding a whole heap of hops from my brewing, so gradually building up a taste for them, little by little. I'll get there... I only just stopped taking sugar in my coffee last year!!

Latest posts

Back