Hop Rocket uses

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used a Hop Rocket / missile as an in-line filter?
I am trying to eliminate trub from the Boil kettle to the fermenter and wondered if anyone has experience if filling a hop rocket with stainless steel pan scourers and or rice hulls.
Any advice welcome

Got one but yet to use.

Infection will not be an issue if it’s clean and you dunk it in starsan.

Obviously brew your way but eliminating trub is pointless but if that’s your thing happy days.

Got one but yet to use.

Infection will not be an issue if it’s clean and you dunk it in starsan.

Obviously brew your way but eliminating trub is pointless but if that’s your thing happy days.
Hi LeeH
Yes use mine all the time for whirlpool. It’s just the thought of leaving the boil kettle at ambient overnight that causes concern.

I’m unsure of what you’re doing now, but the scouring pads would bother me, it’s a food hygiene nightmare.

If you’re looking to filter out trub with a rocket full of scrubbles I’d say it’s not a good idea and completely pointless. It will settle in the kettle given time, or just use no chill cubes from the malt miller.

You can make crystal clear beer with a load of trub in the FV. I just make a good effort to keep most out but some is said to be advantageous.

The only time I leave wort in the kettle overnight it when I’m making a sour!

Your beer will be clear at packaging if you dumped it all in the fermenter, use a kettle fining, chill it and if necessary a fermenter fining.
I'm sure your ferment goes cloudy as yeast in solution is opaque.
That said I found whole hops in my hop missile does filter out some cold break.
The hop trub is caught by the trub trapper and whirlpool.

Your beer will be clear at packaging if you dumped it all in the fermenter, use a kettle fining, chill it and if necessary a fermenter fining.
I'm sure your ferment goes cloudy as yeast in solution is opaque.
That said I found whole hops in my hop missile does filter out some cold break.
The hop trub is caught by the trub trapper and whirlpool.
My beer is always clear on packaging unless I’m brewing a NEIPA or a Hazy IPA. I’m just uncomfortable with transferring all of the cold break into the fermenter. Hop trub isn’t the problem as I whirlpool for 20-30 minutes and let it sit. I can’t use a trub trapper as my element is in the way, I suppose I could use some sort of filter on the inside of the outlet/drain. I was just curious to see if anyone had used their hop missile as a filter as I have one that is under used.

Hi
It’s just the thought of leaving the boil kettle at ambient temperature overnight.

Sorry to be blunt, but facts and feelings are different things.

I routinely leave the beer after hop stand @85 lid on until the next morning.
Never had an infection. But you MUST insure the bulk of the hops are out. Seems to rob the flavour somehow. I use an MJ hop spider.

Better reply...

Modern commercial food hygiene* tells us it has to be boiling or refrigerated and bleached to within an inch of its life.

Another commercial thought "time is money" (not at home it isn't)

So it is hardly surprising that brewdays are a fast brewing process.. setup. Go. Get it hot. Hotter. Quicker. Cooling. Faster. Chilling. Done. Fast is safe.

Slow brewing, utilising elapsed hours are bizarrely quick (or light) in "attending hours" and far are more efficient with all manner of resources. But 😱 you have all that time (days in fact) to worry about it.

It's not a surprise then, that the processes don't always crossover well. You can't always plug them in like components. They also question your norms for good practice & hygiene and will feel like the risking your hand in a blender.

So I really think the conflict here is the two diverse methods (fast beer vs slow beer) colliding. The hop rocket might be a spot fix, but perhaps doesn't sit well.

To fully appreciate slow brewing, I think needs a mindset change.

Blimey bit deep for this time of the morning. 😁

*I have tickets for and experience of Food hygiene, EHO & TS.

Last edited:
@Mash Monster
Where is the pickup on your system for kettle draining?
The top of my wort is always bright after whirlpool and then standing for a half hour or so.
The very fine cold break is near the bottom and is only an issue at the end of kettle emptying.

I’m currently using a 40L Brew Tank from Dark Farm
The bottom port is only 15 mm from the bottom of the vessel. Hence my need for some sort of filter.
Perhaps I’ll transfer all of the trub into my Fermzilla leave overnight and dump most of it the following day.

Or an extension on your pickup port would allow the clear wort in and then get fermenting. Let the rest settle overnight and add in the morning or pour it off filter and brief reboil and add in the morning or use for a starter next brew day ( keep in freezer).

Latest posts

Back