Hop Schedule advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNation

Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time reader, but first time poster, looking for help.
I'm looking to citrus hop the hell out of an IPA kit.
Can anyone help with a hop schedule, including dry hopping, using the following?

John Bull IPA kit 1.8kg
500g Medium Spraymalt
1kg Muntons Beerkit enhancer (DME & Dextrose)
11g Gervin English Ale Yeast

HOPS
100g Cascade (Pellets)
Floral and Citrus aroma
Dual Purpose Hop
AA 6.6%

100g Wakatu/Hallertau Aroma
Moderate Bittering and floral/lime aroma
Dual Purpose Hop
AA 8.2%

100g Kazbek
Slightly spicy with zesty lemon/grapefruit aromas.
AA 5.65%

I'm looking to boil the spraymalt, adding hops for bittering and aroma, before adding to the kit.
Then adding a dry hop after a few days.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Brewnation and welcome to the forum.

Do you know the IBU's of the john bull kit? I did abit of googling and couldn't find anything on it other than the IPA kit is 10 IBU more than the Bitter kit but no IBU's for the Bitter kit either:doh:

Without a base line for your IBU's you probably want to forget about adding more bittering hops. Unless you've made this kit before and found you didn't find it bitter enough for you. So to add more bittering hops your just have to go by taste without any figures

But all is not lost. You want lots of citrus hop aroma and flavour anyway and later hop additions don't add much bitterness so it's possible to work with some brewing software to achieve that and just kind of go by how much hop flavour/aroma you want.

Normally on the odd occasion I do my own recipes I just go with the idiot proof 60/10/0 schedule but trying to achieve what you want I would go with 15/10/5/0 - dry hop. Maybe also add a 20min addition. There's lots of debate on forums as to wether late addition such 20min 15min and 5min actually do anything but I've come to the conclusion it's a matter of taste and experimentation. For me I prefer beers that get there flavour from the malts like porters, stouts and bitters with large amounts of crystal so one 10 min addition is fine for me. For your IPA (which I don't really like BTW) those extra additions may well be worth it for you.

As for amount it's going to be a combination of taste and science. Do you want be conservative with your later additions, moderate or FECK THIS, I GONNA BLOW ME HEAD OFF!! And using some software you just do the calculations/additions

For which hop when I'm not going to be much help there as I've mostly had experience with English hops (Fuggles, EKG, etc) . You could just put percentage wise the same amount of each hop in each addition(made up to your desired AA for each addition) or knowing that the earlier additions give you more flavour while the later additions give mostly aroma (dry hoping for eg. only gives aroma and no flavour) use your hops accordingly . Also take into account it's some people's opinion that high AA hops shouldn't be used for aroma/flavour purposes although plenty of other people do use them that way

This is really an experiment for me as I move away from the standard kit recipes.
I'm going to try a 15/10/5/0 schedule and then dry hop.

Thanks for your help.

The kit will already be buttered so you just want aroma and flavour schedules.
Go for the cascade only.
15g @ 15 minutes.
25g @ 5 minutes.
40g @ 0 minutes (at flameout for 20 minutes)

That's how I'd do it but I've only ever used whole hops.

Best of luck.

The kit will already be buttered so you just want aroma and flavour schedules.
Go for the cascade only.
15g @ 15 minutes.
25g @ 5 minutes.
40g @ 0 minutes (at flameout for 20 minutes)

That's how I'd do it but I've only ever used whole hops.

Best of luck.

Pellet will give a little higher IBU than whole (leaf) hops. I've never used cascade but going by Brewmate which I think uses the average AA for each hop e.g. - 15g@15min (7.8AA) gives 0.64 difference between pellet and leaf

Back