Hop Tea Question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
��£5 for a 330ml :eek:

As for the original question, i have made hop teas (when i was doing kits) in a caffatiere. Boiled the water, put the pellets in and stuck the water in, pressed and left:thumb:. Not bothered since though.

Haven't been there for months but I'm sure that what they were flogging it for.

Back at Ubrew next week to bottle so I'll get a pic of the price board if I remember.

Generally as I brew there I usually take a couple of bottles of my last batch with me unless they have something that particularly takes my fancy.

Yeas, very well,I rarely use leaf. A very small amount of the debris gos through but not much at all

Great - I'll try it with a East Coast IPA I've got planned a couple of brews from now.
Is it worth treating the water at all do you think? or is 1L in a 23L batch not worth worrying about?

Only been to Ubrew once, by the way, and that was last year. But 12 quid to chuck some hops in a brew sounds like a bit of a p***take.

Great - I'll try it with a East Coast IPA I've got planned a couple of brews from now.
Is it worth treating the water at all do you think? or is 1L in a 23L batch not worth worrying about?

Only been to Ubrew once, by the way, and that was last year. But 12 quid to chuck some hops in a brew sounds like a bit of a p***take.

I dont think 1L in a 23L batch will make much difference. I've never bothered to treat it

Boiled the water, put the pellets in and stuck the water in, pressed and left:thumb:. Not bothered since though.
Hi!
There is an opinion that anything above 65-70°C will evaporate the essential oils that we are aiming to get into the beer.
http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/01/21/late-hop-additions-and-hop-oils-in-beer-brewing/
I always allow the boiled water to cool in the covered cafetière before adding the hops. I have a dedicated cafetière for the job.
Colin

Hi!
There is an opinion that anything above 65-70°C will evaporate the essential oils that we are aiming to get into the beer.
http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/01/21/late-hop-additions-and-hop-oils-in-beer-brewing/
I always allow the boiled water to cool in the covered cafetière before adding the hops. I have a dedicated cafetière for the job.
Colin
Okey dokey,only did it a few times anyway and can't actually say with any honesty if it added or detracted from my beers!
as i said, i havn't bothered since i stopped brewing kits and doubt very much if i will go back to kits again.

I've been thinking about the practicalities of doing a hop tea and hope someone has a bright idea that can help with a possible problem:-

I bottle/keg direct from my 2ndry - a glass carboy, and add priming sugar directly to the bottles as I only fill about 6-8 from each batch, with the rest being force carbonated in the keg.

I was thinking that adding the hop tea to the carboy a couple of hours before bottling/kegging would give it enough time to mix in with the beer, but the question is - how do I get the tea into the carboy with it freefalling from a funnel in the neck and introducing oxygen? Syphoning 1L will be a bit of a faff - there's got to be a better way hasn't there???

:cheers:

I've been thinking about the practicalities of doing a hop tea and hope someone has a bright idea that can help with a possible problem:-

I bottle/keg direct from my 2ndry - a glass carboy, and add priming sugar directly to the bottles as I only fill about 6-8 from each batch, with the rest being force carbonated in the keg.

I was thinking that adding the hop tea to the carboy a couple of hours before bottling/kegging would give it enough time to mix in with the beer, but the question is - how do I get the tea into the carboy with it freefalling from a funnel in the neck and introducing oxygen? Syphoning 1L will be a bit of a faff - there's got to be a better way hasn't there???

:cheers:

If you had a piece of tubing that fits the funnel then you could put the tubing into the carboy and in the the beer and pour the tea in that way.

Gave the hop tea a go yesterday, all seemed fairly straight forward using a cafetière. Now just a couple of weeks in the bottle to see how it panned out.

Latest posts

Back