hope my wow gets better!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the wow was crystal clear after only 3 days with finnngs so I bottled it and it tasted massivley better I'm not even gonna bother back sweetening it is fine.
Things are looking up :cheers:

just had a sip of mine that has been bottled now for 2months minimum, it has a really strange twang to it. is it posible i used to much campden tablets? i used one when i racked it for dj to dj and then i put on in each bottle when i bottled it. could this be the cause of the twang taste?

simonkidder said:
is it possible I used too much campden tablets? I used one when i racked it from dj to dj and then I put one in each bottle when I bottled it.
One to the gallon when racking is good :thumb:

One in each bottle is a big mistake :sick:

That's going to take a long while to wear off, decant your wine to a jug before serving and let it breathe for an hour or two.

Mines first attempt still bubbling away can't wait to try it I'm very impatient . Also tried one with red-grape juice and cranberry with grape juice concentrate looking forward to the finished results but guess it will take a month or so :hmm:

simonkidder said:
Moley once I have used a ct per gallon when I rack it do I have to use another ct if I rack it again??

Is the extra ct likely to poison me?
CT isn't going to poison you, although some people (e.g. asthmatics) can be sensitive to sulphites and may prefer to keep their use to a minimum. Take a look at this Wiki link.

I would suggest that whether or not you add another at 2nd racking would depend upon the time between rackings and your intentions for the wine.

For example, you rack after fermentation has finished and add CT, sorbate and finings. That should then clear within 1-2 weeks and throw another sediment. If you are then going to bottle, or rack and immediately bottle for early consumption, don't bother with another CT.

If you are going to rack, top up and put that wine away to mature for a few months, then you might want to add another CT.

Personally, I filter all of mine (because I like it to shine) a couple of weeks after first racking, stabilising and fining, then I put it away for 3-6 months before bottling, so I do add more sulphites.

Latest posts

Back