Hoping additions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ally_sives

Reaction score
Hi all!

Going to be making a 1kg batch on Saturday and I have 3 hops to use. I am going to bitter with Warrior but I also have Amarillo and Citra for the flavour/aroma. Was going to have two additions of Amarillo for flavour and Citra near flameout for the aroma. Anyone got any experience/ideas with this hop combination?

Cheers!

I've never used warrior, but Amarillo and Citra will be brilliant late on. Maybe be add the flavour/aroma hops at around 5 or one minute to go.

Dave

Warrior is my standard bittering hop. Very clean, very high alpha indeed, so it saves a lot of money if you pop it in at the start to get the bitterness you desire, cos you don't need much! :).
Haven't tried Citra yet, but I've certainly used a lot of Amarillo. They'll work very well with Warrior, because they're doing a completeley different job, but also because the small amount of Warrior you need for bittering will not add much flavour (and no aroma if its in for the whole boil) of its own.
I'd agree with Dave - use Citra & Amarillo very late on in the boil to get flavour and aroma. Don't forget to dry hop with them as well! :thumb:

Good luck
Bill

Just a thought - Citra & Amarillo are both fairly high-alpha (which means they will add a lot of bitterness themselves if left in the boiling, or even hot, wort for a long time). If you use them as a late addition and chill your wort then most of the bitterness will obviously come from the Warrior. However, if you go down the no-chill route then even late additions of these will markedly increase bitterness.

Hi all!

Going to be making a 1kg batch on Saturday and I have 3 hops to use. I am going to bitter with Warrior but I also have Amarillo and Citra for the flavour/aroma. Was going to have two additions of Amarillo for flavour and Citra near flameout for the aroma. Anyone got any experience/ideas with this hop combination?

Cheers!

I've used citra with galaxy and used amarillo with galaxy but not C&A together they should compliment each other though.

Yeah I reckon they should compliment each other pretty well. Warrior is a great buttering hop! Used it in most of my brews. I want a decent balance so I might try and leave the citra and Amarillo till very late in the boil and dry hop too. Cheers for the replies!

Citra and Amarillo are the two hops in one of my favourite commercial ale,hop bomb by sadlers,if it comes out like that I may be paying you a visit soon,lol

Citra and Amarillo are the two hops in one of my favourite commercial ale,hop bomb by sadlers,if it comes out like that I may be paying you a visit soon,lol

Haha I hope it does! I'll be seeing you round my gaff soon!

Haha I hope it turns out well. I'll be seeing you round my gaff soon!

I much prefer the English hops with Fuggles and Kent Golding rocking my dear mortal world.
I love the earthY notes and that characteristic infusion and smell

Not to say that the Americana C hops are not good to go with Citra and Cenntenial making me also grin somewhat

I 100% get people liking their EKG or Fuggles etc. I plan to move more in to uk hop varieties but I can't get past the American "in your face" hops haha.

Amarillo and Citra is a cracking combo, Modern Times Fortunate Islands wheat beer has this combo.
When I made the first time i used equal quantities of both but found after about 4 weeks the citra dominated the flavour.
Then I used 10g of citra to 15g (proportionally) of Amarillo per addition and the Amarillo dominated! It's a fine balancing act to get both to shine.
Next time I'll go for 12g citra to 15g Amarillo.
Late additions and an 80* steep for 30 mins.

Back