Hopping my IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Due to my inexperience regards using hops I have delayed making my Coopers IPA till Monday 3rd April when my hops arrive.

I have only recently tasted some IPA's from Tesco Morrisons etc and the taste has honestly blown me away. Some of the citrusy, fruity, dry, perfumy hoppy after tastes have been both pleasurable and amazing.
I have therefore decided to try making a version with a Coopers IPA.

I plan to do use the following please comment on whether the amounts or way I am doing it should be changed or tweaked. All comments will be more than appreciated.

Ingredients

1 can Coopers IPA + 1kg Brewing Sugar + 500g Muntons light Spray Malt +
25g Cascade + 25g Citra.

Method.
Heat 6 pints of water and when warm add my LSM & B/S stirring well. When brought to a boil continue to stir and then add 25g of both Citra and Cascade for 2 0r 3 minutes before turning heat off.
Add this to my FV along with cold water to either 21l/22l or the full 23L. before pitching yeast around 21 degrees.
I then usually leave in FV for around 3 weeks.

Would it be recommended that I dry hop as I will still have 25g of both cascade and citra left. If so at what point after fermentation is complete would u add and for how long?
Cheers really looking forward to this brew and any advice help as always will be appreciated.
cheers

Due to my inexperience regards using hops I have delayed making my Coopers IPA till Monday 3rd April when my hops arrive.

I have only recently tasted some IPA's from Tesco Morrisons etc and the taste has honestly blown me away. Some of the citrusy, fruity, dry, perfumy hoppy after tastes have been both pleasurable and amazing.
I have therefore decided to try making a version with a Coopers IPA.

I plan to do use the following please comment on whether the amounts or way I am doing it should be changed or tweaked. All comments will be more than appreciated.

Ingredients

1 can Coopers IPA + 1kg Brewing Sugar + 500g Muntons light Spray Malt +
25g Cascade + 25g Citra.

Method.
Heat 6 pints of water and when warm add my LSM & B/S stirring well. When brought to a boil continue to stir and then add 25g of both Citra and Cascade for 2 0r 3 minutes before turning heat off.
Add this to my FV along with cold water to either 21l/22l or the full 23L. before pitching yeast around 21 degrees.
I then usually leave in FV for around 3 weeks.

Would it be recommended that I dry hop as I will still have 25g of both cascade and citra left. If so at what point after fermentation is complete would u add and for how long?
Cheers really looking forward to this brew and any advice help as always will be appreciated.
cheers

it depends which ipas you had from morrisons! - greene king ipa - a hop was waved somewhere in the vicinity of the beer. allegedly :grin: brewdog a ton of hops were used.

Any decent IPA will have at least 60g in boil and about the same DH. Personally I like a hoppy beer so I normally add at least 40g in the last 10 mins of the boil.

DH is around about 60g for 4-5 days.

Each person has a different preferred taste though so it's all trial and error.
😎🍻

I made the coopers Australian pale ale kit and used 50/50 Mix of cascade and citra for the last 5 days. 30g hop tea and 40g dry hop. Tastes amazing...similar ish to beavertown gamma ray.

I made the coopers Australian pale ale kit and used 50/50 Mix of cascade and citra for the last 5 days. 30g hop tea and 40g dry hop. Tastes amazing...similar ish to beavertown gamma ray.

Do you let it finish fermenting first before dry hopping?

Do you use the same hops for the tea and the dry hop?

if its the new coopers AIPA hope you have better luck than me,a terribly hard kit to dry hop not pale enough to effect any hop improvement
+1 on that.
I used 25g Centennial and 25g Cascade with this kit and it was still underwhelming.
There are other threads on the Coopers Brew A IPA here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=64555
and here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=69510
If you want a Coopers kit to play with I suggest you try the Australian Pale Pale. Its now my go to kit. Review here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29690

Back