English Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichK

Regular.
Reaction score
Whilst the majority of my beers already use English hops, I've decided to push it a bit further & do my tiny little bit to support the domestic industry.

So, for example, my 'Ford Sierra' (currently drinking) uses UK Cascade rather than US Cascade. Harlequin, Jester, Olicana are super hops imho and are getting lots of use in hoppy pale brews. Then, I've switched the heavy lifting bittering hop from Magnum (back) to Admiral. So far so good.

The one overseas hop I'm struggling to replace is Saaz. I've started including a lager/pilsner in the rotation & think it's the one overseas hop there's not a domestic substitute for. Next time, I'm planning on reducing it's use by bittering with Admiral rather than Saaz but will have to see how that one pans out. Anybody got any suggestions? I'm not into clone brewing, but brew "in the style of..."

There's nothing that's a match for Saaz. But there are a few commercial lagers that use English hops. Goldings or Fuggles usually but others too. Boadicea is described as suitable for lager. Adnams uses Goldings in its Kobold lager. Utopian uses Goldings in its British lager. Golding seems to be favourite with breweries doing English hopped lagers. But Fuggle a good option too, not too dissimilar from Tettnang maybe.

Just musing here, but there's no good reason why a lager needs to taste like saaz or any of the other "noble" hops. Certainly there are hops you wouldn't want in your lager, I'm thinking bullion, phoenix, harlequin, for example, and I'm not sure we can't do better than fuggles and holdings. I'll go through the descriptions and see if anything springs to mind.

Edit:
Just had a look through the British Hop Association list and nothing there springs to mind as being glaringly obvious. I think I might have a go with First Gold using a light hand.
Interestingly, New Zealand hops seem to lend themselves admirably to lagers. I think a lot of them are based on German hops somewhere down the line.
I shall continue pondering this matter.

Last edited:
Thinking creatively outside the box, there may be other ways to augment a British hop with other ingredients. Tea leaves perhaps. Identify what you feel is missing and search elsewhere for the required aroma.

Thinking creatively outside the box, there may be other ways to augment a British hop with other ingredients. Tea leaves perhaps. Identify what you feel is missing and search elsewhere for the required aroma.
Spot on @Sadfield , I've always thought a splash of Roses Lime Juice Cordial brings out the best in any lager.
😂🌹🌹🌹🌹

Pilgrim is an interesting suggestion. Have been looking to replace Magnum as my go-to bittering hop.

Next brew is a Dunkel with predominantly British ingredients. Utopian suggested Fuggles for bittering so I've gone with those and a touch of Herefordshire Goldings.

I'm sure I've heard of Challenger being decent in Lagers, although I've not tried myself.

Although with my next brew, I'm due to go back to where I started my AG journey in 2009 with a fully English-hopped strong bitter called "Bouncing Squirrel" by @damfoose of this parish, hopped with Fuggles and Challenger. My original attempts to brew it went wrong twice (once, catastrophically so), but I remember what I managed to salvage being very tasty.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/bouncing-squirrel-23-05-2009.1842/

The uk's best selling lager uses Pilgrim, apparently

Thanks all.

My LHBS doesn't stock Pilgrim but "them" using Pilgrim would give me reason to NOT do that wink...

I think this will have to be the one exception & continue to use some Saaz later in the boil.

Pilgrim is a good hop. The macro lagers will use a hop bittering product, acid extracted from hops.

I am going to try an English Lager tomorrow with XPMO, Pilgrim and the fag end of a bag of Aurora. Notty ale yeast.

Hop Extract isn't listed in the ingredients for Carling, but is for other products they make.

Attachments

• United Kingdom(1).pdf
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
Hop Extract isn't listed in the ingredients for Carling, but is for other products they make.
I'm struggling to imagine them putting leaf hops in the kettle. Bound to be extract i think.

Back