How do i make cloudy cider clear?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulpy

Reaction score
I have just made a batch of magnum elderflower cider but it is very cloudy, how would i make it clear? pectolase? Or beer finings i havent added the elderflower flavouring yet but would quite like to clear it first.

Apologise to any cloudy cider drinkers, i love old rosie as much as the next man but my friends arent quite so easy to convince :oops:

Sorry to disappoint but it may be too late for this batch. Did you boil the Elderflower flavouring before you added it to the brew? This may be necessary as it might have had preservatives in it. These need to be boiled off before adding to brew. Obviously you can check this by reading the contents list on the bottle

No it says to add the flavouring at the end so i havent done that yet this is just yeast brewing sugar and the contents of the can is there still no hope?

I think this is a Kit am I right Hulpy.

Is it meant to be a cloudy or clear cider?

How long has it been fermenting?

Have you tried putting it somewhere cool to encourage it to drop?

If it is a kit then it shouldn't need any pectolase as if it is meant to be clear then this will have already been treated.

Cider does generally take its time to clear a few weeks at least and warm weather will not help. :thumb:

Hope that helps.

As GA said - it'll clear in time. follow the instructions, then before bottling leave it in a cool dark place, for two months. It will have had stabiliser added so won't ferment anymore, so you can add a solid bung without issues. cool and dark for two months, go and do something else, and forget about it. When you come back it'll be clear.

Patience is a great aid to the homebrewer. If it's a kit that needed finings then the kit would have had them with it, so I wouldn't bother with that route. Is there any reason you want to clear it before adding the flavouring? What are the instructions on the kit?

Two things which lead to ruin in home brewin impatience and greed, that said i havent got the space to bung it not with winter on the way and christmas ales to make

will have to bottle cloudy, thanks for the tips! :hmm:

Thanks guys followed everyones advice about moving somewhere cooler and that seems to have sorted it, and is now crystal clear.

Just hope theres enough residual yeast left in it to produce produce some fizz in the bottle, I've also added some concentrated fresh lime to give it a twist which seems to have worked well!

It will be fine i have cider which was left for 10 months before bottling and there was plenty of yeast. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back