How have your taste buds changed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Before I started brewing my own, I used to be a lager drinker, my first couple of kits were lager kits. Since then, I've discovered how good ales can be and, now i have gone over to ag, that's all I brew. I haven't had a lager for a good few years, until tonight. While I was in Sainsbury's, in a moment of weakness, I found a bottle of Kroenburg in my basket, a lager I used to like.

I've just opened it, poured it into a glass (something I would never have done before) and had a sip. After pulling a face, I tipped it down the sink. How could I have ever liked that stuff :sick:

how has your taste buds changed since you started brewing?

100% yes , totally agree with everything you wrote . I may like wheat beers and such like but i used to drink **** i mean lager (as in can of **** ) now it does taste like **** . (did i mention **** ? i think you get the meaning ) :thumb:

Not quite as far as yours it seems as I can still stomach the odd pint of lager, though it's the exception rather than the rule nowadays. I'm more likely to walk into a pub and pick a real ale that looks interesting than pick a lager, even tough with the lager you'll know what you're getting.
With my own brews it's mainly pale and hoppy.. though I've gained a taste for Weissebier, Kölsch and Oatmeal Stouts. Sadly I've yet to manage to brew a standard English bitter that I like though I keep making the odd attempt.

One day I'll even get around to brewing myself a decent lager :shock:

Just seen Pittsy's response. Is it the forum's general view that all lager is p*ss?
Have the Germans and Czechs been wasting all their time all these years brewing p*ss.... or is it just our version of mass produced yellow fizzy water that can be described as such?

Not all. But I know only of three pubs (fortunately one's my local) which serve good lager. And by good I mean something like Cotswold or Schiehallion. i.e. Nothing made by or under licence from a multinational.

pardon me for not explaining i was on about the **** we usually get in the pubs , not the good stuff which i find is like rocking horse poo like warsteiner verum and such like , no i was on about carlsberg and carling and so on :tongue:

summer I drink cider

winter I drink ale

for some reason ale in the summer makes my hayfever worse :-(

Early 1970s I remember drinking a Watneys party 7 to myself at a Reading festival, never in a million years now.

There are some nice lagers, Grolsh isnt bad, and the bottles are even better :D

I used to to be a red wine drinker, but since I've started doing wow's, I can't
touch the stuff as all I taste is chemicals :sick: . My fear now is if I start making
ale, I'll never drink in a pub again :doh:

Not really, i like ales and lagers, ciders, stouts, mild etc etc, but i can go in a pub and drink real ale, but the thing is, i can manage about 3 pints and it starts to sit heavy, whereas if i drink lager or cider, i can sup it all night.
As for the lager, i can drink any really, i am not a expert or a snob, beer is beer, it all gets ya drunk...like at the moment, i am liking the saint etienne lager from Aldi, and as another person has commented, there is all the beer in europe, and that stuff is fantastic, and yes, it's a pity we have to put with **** like fosters, when we have all that good stuff on our doorstep!!

Back