How i spent my Mayday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niman

Reaction score
The last week or so i have got a bit carried away with the spending.
New 70ltr boil kettle , gas burner and all the fittings.
50kg of grain on its way (hopefully) got impatient and bought a sack locally on Sat as i wanted to get a brew day in with having a few days off.

Yesterday was out cause it tipped it down..Today was nice so i started early and did without my lie in.

at the minute im liking hoppy pale ale types of beer..thinking of bbq time down the line.

10kg MO
500 gm crystal

hops 50b chinook 90 mins
Glacier 50gms at 30 and 15 mins

yeast 1 s04 (which i use fairly often)
and mangrove jack workhorse which i have never used before so will be interesting to compare.

water on to heat for mashing

Sparging

Filling fermenters.

assistant brewer.

think he was annoyed that no food came out of such a big pot.

so not a kick in the **** of 6 hrs for 10 gallon of beer was quite pleased with that.

my logic in doubling the batch and changing to gas to speed the heating up seems to have worked.

Downside ...kettle kinda hard to move about the weight i can handle ok(ish) bloody awkward shape to lift and try to carry.

Boil off was horrendous i was probably best part of 10 litres short.

i added water to the fermenters lol sg not what i was hoping for though tbh not to bothered as looking something sessionable for summer.

You'll be able to adjust the water volume next time. Let us know how the yeasts compare in this brew, interesting to see the difference.

Bit of a follow up from yesterday . for the first time ever i left the 2 fermenters in a shed out side the thought of lifting them in last night didnt appeal to me at all.

when i went to get em i was suprised at the activity.

glass carboy is so4
plastic bucket workhorse.

curious to compare the 2

will report back when finished

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1490&stc=1&d=1430857205

IMG_20150505_205928.jpg

Latest posts

Back