How is Dubbel pronounced

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't find the character set for phonetic symbols here. It's like a contracted dibirl with the stress on first syllable.
Go to Google translate and translate from Dutch (Belgium shares the Dutch language as well as French). Translate "Dubbel" from Dutch and press the speak symbol to hear the key word.

Dubbel with th "u" of surgeon.

Tripel as "triple".

Actually, "tripel" is a word that doesn't really exist. In Franch and English, "triple" as in threefold is the same word. "Tripel" is what you actually say. Brits don't say trip-ll-e, and the French probably swallow the "le" (just kidding).

Dubbel with th "u" of surgeon.

Tripel as "triple".

Actually, "tripel" is a word that doesn't really exist. In Franch and English, "triple" as in threefold is the same word. "Tripel" is what you actually say. Brits don't say trip-ll-e, and the French probably swallow the "le" (just kidding).
Is that the same pronunciation of the u that you have in Duvel? Ie, are Duvel and dubbel pronounced the same, except for it v/b sound?

Is that the same pronunciation of the u that you have in Duvel? Ie, are Duvel and dubbel pronounced the same, except for it v/b sound?
No, in Duvel you would pronounce it more like the German ü, and not short but long, but I can't find an English example where the U is pronounced like that.

No, that's "t-j-oo-n". Actually, I would pronounce it as "duvet", in French: duvet [dyvɛ] . That seems to be the closest example I can find.

The problem is that what we in German and Dutch pronounce 'uu' (long u) is 'oo' in English, and there really seems to be no equivalent.

The reference on the internet I found about "ask for a doo-vill" :-( belongs in the same category as myths about beer.

No, that's "t-j-oo-n". Actually, I would pronounce it as "duvet", in French: duvet [dyvɛ] . That seems to be the closest example I can find.

The problem is that what we in German and Dutch pronounce 'uu' (long u) is 'oo' in English, and there really seems to be no equivalent.

The reference on the internet I found about "ask for a doo-vill" :-( belongs in the same category as myths about beer.
Possibly close to 'true'? But there are at many subtleties in accents it's really hard to convey. As two different English regions will pronounce 'true' or 'too' subtly differently. I do know the German ü though so I'm good with that. German is a lot easier as it's so consistent in it's pronunciation!

So back to dubbel, what is the phoenetic spelling using the international phonetic alphabet?

Possibly close to 'true'? But there are at many subtleties in accents it's really hard to convey. As two different English regions will pronounce 'true' or 'too' subtly differently. I do know the German ü though so I'm good with that. German is a lot easier as it's so consistent in it's pronunciation!

So back to dubbel, what is the phoenetic spelling using the international phonetic alphabet?

Latest posts

Back